We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to this part of Mexico

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
1st time to this part of Mexico

We are very excited! we were about to lose our timeshare due to it expiring and got lucky and found a 2 bdrm available in the Grand Mayan. We have only stayed in Cancun so the pacific coast of mexico is new to us. We (husband and 20 yr old kids) enjoy the beach but really enjoy doing tours cultural, and water activities. is it worth it to rent a car and pay for parking daily or is it easy to get around to different attractions and towns such as puerto vallarta, restaurants and shops? also in looking at the resort's website, it seems like a big complex with a lot of restaurants. are all of the restaurants on site? and also regarding the beach is the water very cold in June? and last question any recommendation for snorkeling and whale watching. thank you.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to this part of Mexico

The water will be warm.

The Mayan property is very beautiful, lush, well maintained. We've visited friends staying there and had a great time.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to this part of Mexico

I would not rent a car, especially if parking costs extra. The bus is cheap and easy to take into Puerto Vallarta, and there are plenty of cabs too at a reasonable cost. The Mayan complex is the southern end of Nuevo so about 30 minutes from PV. There are other small towns to visit, Bucerias and Sayulita to the north.

Visit the link below for Vallarta Adventures for tours. Snorkeling wont be like the Cancun side as the water, although still nice, is not the brilliant turquoise blue from the Cancun side. Regarding whale watching, that season ends in March as the Humpbacks head back north. You should still see dolphins though. The ocean and pools will be warm in June. It is the start of the rainy season, so expect some showers at night, or late afternoon. I can't help at all with the Mayan Property itself. Have fun.

http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to this part of Mexico

I hit send too soon. I agree about the car rental. Parking at the Mayan is valet-only and somewhat pricey.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to this part of Mexico

As for the adventure part. Look at Vallarta Adventures for the Outdoor Adventure and it is an awesome trip with ziplines and such. Also look at the San Sebastian tour and also look for an excursion with Pegaso Chartering to Yelapa or Marietas Island to the hidden beach, you also get snorkeling but trip is for small groups on a sailboat and a great day.

I am no help on that resort however but bus and Taxis are the better option.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to this part of Mexico

thank you all for your replies. very helpful!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
355 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time to this part of Mexico

We own at the Grand Mayan. It is a beautiful lush property with many activities during the day. The restaurants are numerous and the choices are varied. We feel they are a bit on the pricey side. There are many restaurants offsite within either a walking distance or a short bus or taxi ride away. We return each year for 3 weeks. We stay downtown PV for 1 week and at the GM for 2 weeks. It has become our favorite destination. We have rented cars in the past but now rely on local busses first and then taxis. We save a lot this way and the convenience factor is great.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time to this part of Mexico

ljsaw , Nuevo is quite a distance from PV itself and the drive is unspectacular and not very relaxing for the driver as you get into PV , especially . Any driving to the towns to the north might be worthwhile on normal two lane highway but I agree about using public transportation locally or into PV .

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time to this part of Mexico

Foss50 have you been to GM recently? I read there is construction going on, a lot of it, and that due to expansion and crocodiles, the lagoons are empty. don't shoot the messenger, just curious about the property. also will try to avoid timeshare presentation as i here they have one of the worst sales tactics.

Arlington Heights...
Level Contributor
304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time to this part of Mexico

You will be amazed at the property and how beautiful it is! There is construction, we've gone every year for the past 5 but it's not impaired our vacation or relaxation. Many good restaurants in the area off campus to save you a bit of money... Have Fun

10. Re: 1st time to this part of Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 06:16