We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of sunscreen in PV

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of sunscreen in PV

I'm looking for information on how much does a bottle of sunscreen (at least 30 SPF) cost in PV, and for what size bottle? I'm staying there for 7 days, and I am debating if I should bring my own and pay the baggage check-in fee ($25), or just buy some when I get there.

Thanks!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of sunscreen in PV

You're looking at about $12 for a standard 8 oz size of something like Hawaiian Tropic, Banana Boat, etc. at Mega, Walmart, or Chedraui. It could be a lot more at your resort's convenience store. You can find SPF values in the 2-4 and 50+ range pretty much all the time, but once in a while you'll run into a place that doesn't have 15 and/or 30.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,413 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of sunscreen in PV

When I was there in February (my third trip in a few months), I bought a bottle of Hawaiian Tropic (30 SPF --- 240ml) at the Soriana at Plaza Caracol in PV for about 150% of whatever it would cost in the States.

Deal is ---- I go for two to four weeks at a time, routinely, and travel carry-on. Also, I don't lay out at the pool or beach all day so it's worth it to me to buy it there.

If I was only going for a week, I'd buy it at your local CVS or store and put it in two 3-oz containers. That's just me though, since I can get plenty into a quart-bag.

Bottom-line ---- I have a TON of old sunscreen around. It gets tossed, but there is no reason to pay extra baggage fees. I take it with me or I buy it there and leave it behind. Also, I mark the date I buy it (with a sharpie) as it doesn't last forever.

The 240ml bottle I bought at Soriana in February is going into a 3-oz bottle, for my next trip. ;=))

AR
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of sunscreen in PV

I buy 3 3 oz bottles at my local grocery/Dollar Store, etc. and put them in my quart size bag in my carryon. That way I can take a small container with me if I go walking or on a tour and not have to carry a big container. If I run out, I buy some in PV at Wal Mart, Soriana, etc. By the way, depending on your airline, you may get 1 free checked bag since you are on an international trip.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
606 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of sunscreen in PV

Food is cheap. The bus is cheap. Sunscreen is not. Rule number one: bring it with you.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of sunscreen in PV

So it's going to cost what - $3-4 more for a bottle of sunscreen that will last the whole trip?? If people think this is unreasonable, perhaps they should re-visit their budget to confirm whether they can actually afford to take a vacation.

A more rational argument would be to not waste valuable vacation time running around looking for sunscreen. But if you're planning to go to a major grocery store at the start of the trip anyway, that's not really a problem.

Or perhaps you need a specific brand or SPF, and don't want to risk not finding it in Mexico.

But in any event, if you have plenty of luggage space, it's probably a good idea to throw some sunscreen in before leaving home!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,413 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of sunscreen in PV

OT --- you made me laugh. Obviously, a lot of this has to do with whether people are sticklers to traveling carry-on or not. And, if they want "specific sunscreen." Favorites. If I can buy a big bottle of 30SPF down there, I'm good.

Next trip upcoming, I'm bringing my massive bottle of Hawaiian Tropic that I bought recently at Soriana. It would have been cheaper in the US, but I saved a baggage fee, in buying it there.

As one person, I almost always travel "carry-on down" and check a bag going back home. Saves me $25USD going down ---- I can afford to get a 240ml bottle of Hawaiian Tropic.

This is a funny thread (no offense to the OP, as everyone has to plan those things) but I travel carry-on and still bring things like coffee and oatmeal and stuff I might need for a couple days, so I can relax when I first get there.

For those of us who go multiple times a year, it's different from traveling for the first time and not yet having "the lay of the land.". Hope we've helped the OP. Obviously, buy the sunscreen in PV --- saves a $25 baggage fee on Alaska Airlines (I assume), since the OP is from Seattle. ;=))

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of sunscreen in PV

Good points, Marly. And for what it's worth, we're heading down this weekend, and will be packing along some Hawaiian Tropic that we picked up for a good price the other day. But if we were traveling carry-on only, or didn't have the room or weight allowance, we wouldn't bother.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,848 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of sunscreen in PV

Have a great trip. OT. are you flying SunWing or WestJet ?

9. Re: Cost of sunscreen in PV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 05:17