We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport Validity for Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) Travel

CA
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Passport Validity for Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) Travel

Does anyone know how far out US passport needs to be valid for travel into Mexico?

We have a flight into Puerto Vallarta (from SFO) from June 17-June 24, 2014 for vacation and the 2 US passports are expiring Sep 30, 2014 and other two are expiring Nov 8, 2014.

Anyone had experience with this situation? - Will this be a problem? Or do passports have to be 6+ months valid after I finish travel (which is June 24), which means I would have to get the passports renewed with expedited service (very costly and may still run risk of passports not being delivered before June 17 departure). Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,676 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport Validity for Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) Travel

I am not sure Mexico cares but your airline might, you should check with your carrier...

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport Validity for Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) Travel

Yes, nobody has reported being turned away in Mexico because of this but there have been a few reports of people being denied boarding by the airline (a "few" meaning a handful amongst thousands who haven't had a problem). Check with the airline.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
711 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport Validity for Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) Travel

I know flying out of Canada it has to be good for at least 6 months past.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,239 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport Validity for Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) Travel

As mentioned, your airline should be able to answer passport-related questions. You could also check the US. State Department website; type "passport" in the search box.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport Validity for Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) Travel

Here is a link to the FAQs for US Passports:

…state.gov/content/…FAQs.html

I think it should answer your question as I found it very helpful.

Se diviertan!

6. Re: Passport Validity for Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 06:16