We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

water and ice Riu Vallarta

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
water and ice Riu Vallarta

Hi all I am hoping you can help me. We go to Riu Vallarta the end of August and was wondering whether the tap water is ok to brush your teeth with etc? Also the ice they use in the drinks, is it likely to be tap water? I know it's probably a odd question but would be grateful for any help. Helps me plan what I can tell my daughter who is autistic what she can and cannot do/have as it takes a while to sink in :-)

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,545 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: water and ice Riu Vallarta

All the ice that I know of at the resorts and restaurants comes from an Ice making plant. It is is shaped like a ltube with a hole in the middle, very safe.

We have always used tap water to brush our teeth at Marival, Dreams VM and Rui Palace and never suffered from it, but I have read on this forum that others use bottled water for teeth brushing.It's a personal thing I think.

Jolee is one of the DE's on the Nuevo forum is at Rui Vallarta and coming back soon, she will be able to give you more insight.

Have a fab vacation :)

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,164 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: water and ice Riu Vallarta

Quincy did a good job of explaining about the ice, plus the big resort hotels have their own water filtration systems.

A lot can depend upon your own personal GI system. I'm one who sometimes has problems in major American cities as well as in Mexico. The food and water aren't bad, they're just different than what I have at home in the Chicago area.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: water and ice Riu Vallarta

The Ice is safe and I always use bottled water to brush my teeth but I like to error on the side of caution. So I would say stick to the plan of only drink the bottled water they provide and also use to brush the teeth. That way it is less confusing for her.

All of the Riu's indicated not to drink the tap water.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,313 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: water and ice Riu Vallarta

Bottled water in fridge.. just phone for more.. They leave some out, knowing people use to brush teeth. Water at bars,and meals are all safe to drink. just returned from two week trip.. i used tap water to brush teeth. just did not drink the tap water ,sign on mirror...reads NOT potable..meaning do not drink.. Ice from machines are good also.

Way too Humid this two weeks compaired to last year... Still dripping....lol

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: water and ice Riu Vallarta

Lol on the humidity side of things it doesn't bode well for August. Ahh well maybe all that dripping will help me lose some weight! thank you for all your replies.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,313 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: water and ice Riu Vallarta

nope,,Mandie.. with the food and drink you will gain weight..lol

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: water and ice Riu Vallarta

Getting a little worried with all the reviews of the humidity about my mums asthma... cross fingers will be ok, inhaler on stand by when we exit the plane.

8. Re: water and ice Riu Vallarta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 05:16