We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU Palace Pacifico vs. Royal DeCameron

Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
denver, colorado
Level Contributor
371 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
RIU Palace Pacifico vs. Royal DeCameron

We have stayed at the Palace twice and enjoy staying there for a relaxing vacation. Contemplating RDC because we are interested in trying something different, also perhaps dining out more in Bucerias and a few excursions. Savings of staying at RDC would easily pay for this.

We understand what some of the differences would be such as room safe not included, no inroom refrig, etc. Looking at staying at Thanksgiving. Wonder if anyone who has stayed at both resorts has in insight on what to expect regarding RDC. One question is does RDC supply bottle water? Concerned if we will be greatly disappointed regarding quality of food, service, and a quiet atmosphere.

victoria canada
Level Contributor
581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RIU Palace Pacifico vs. Royal DeCameron

Not worth the savings IMHO

I wouldn't do it!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: RIU Palace Pacifico vs. Royal DeCameron

Me either. Big drop in quality.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RIU Palace Pacifico vs. Royal DeCameron

Depends on how much you will leave the property. If you plan to eat a few lunches and dinners out, RDC is perfect - great location for getting out and about. But RDC doesn't have the quality of food or liquor of Palace by far. There is no shrimp or lobster, mostly only chicken, beef and pork. Some breaded fish. A few dinners out solves the problem. Also, picking up a bottle of good liquor and some wine down the street from RDC solves the crappy drinks problem. The rooms are basic at RDC but fine, they are not a deal breaker. They provided some bottled water and got refills at the bar, but again, needed to supplement. We picked up water a the store in Bucerias.

Edited: 23 June 2014, 17:55
B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,559 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RIU Palace Pacifico vs. Royal DeCameron

you pay for what you get.. LoL. HUGH difference in the two. I think you will be very dissapointed if you enjoyed the Pacifico Riu.

For example.. RDC don't even give you shampoo,lotion,only soap. Very very basic. 2 1/2 star IMHO.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RIU Palace Pacifico vs. Royal DeCameron

It is very basic, but the things that are not included - shampoo etc - I always bring my own. The property itself is beautiful and a it has a great beach area. Location is better than RIU. But the food and drinks..are disappointing.

JoLee..I'm always confused with your HUGH in caps comments...what does that mean? Is it an acronym of some type???? or just Huge??

Edited: 23 June 2014, 20:35
Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,477 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RIU Palace Pacifico vs. Royal DeCameron

I agree with snorkler. If you are already planning on spending time in Bucerias going out for meals, why not give the RDC a try? The grounds at the RDC are fantastic! The staff go above and beyond to please all guests. It is only a short walk into central Bucerias with many fabulous restaurants. You are provided bottled water. If you run out, just go to one of the many bars to refill your bottle. You can also ask the maid for extra water (I always would give her an extra tip for each extra bottle). The breakfasts at the RDC is excellent! Make sure you go to the omellet station. The Picollo and Rodizios a la cartes are excellent also (so you don't have to go out for meals every night). On Thursday, it is the Mexican fiesta. I would definitely suggest you stay on the resort for this entire day. You won't be disappointed. I would not give the RDC a 4 star....however, it is higher than a 2 1/2 star. I would give it a 3 - 3 1/2 star if I were to rate it according to the other resorts I've stayed at. There is also the 'quiet pool' (adults only) to ensure you have peace and quiet. There are 5 pools throughout this resort to choose from.

I live in Bucerias and always try to get to the RDC at least once per year. I still enjoy it!

Have a great trip!

Edited: 23 June 2014, 21:23
Bloomington...
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RIU Palace Pacifico vs. Royal DeCameron

I have not stayed at the RDC but I would find it hard to leave the Palace. The past 2 years I have thought of making the change and when it comes down to it I just can not do it...love the Palace and the employees too much. And love Bucerias too! Can't wait to get back.

Good luck with the decision.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 01:15
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RIU Palace Pacifico vs. Royal DeCameron

I only use certain types of soaps and lotions so always bring my own regardless. RDC is a great home base to get out and explore Mexico!! Have fun.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,431 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RIU Palace Pacifico vs. Royal DeCameron

Riu Palace had the nicest lobby and rooms I have ever stayed in. I travel for Business and stay in some very nice hotels 9 1/2 out of 12 months a year.

I also travel with my own soaps and lotions and if I wanted to use the resort as a home base? RDC might have my go to....BUT....I would explore renting a condo before hand.

The Grounds at RDC are beautiful ..I might stay there....most likely wouldn't eat there (except for Breakfast) drink there?? Not sure I became very addicted to Don Julio Margs when I was at the Palace and I have to wonder if RDC serves Cazadore tequila...which is my favourite burget tequila when I won't pay $100 here in Canada to buy DJ.

denver, colorado
Level Contributor
371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RIU Palace Pacifico vs. Royal DeCameron

MistyAngel,

Thanks for your reply. I am to having a hard time also leaving the Palace. Spouse is interested in RDC, I am thinking RDC will not have cosmo martini's like the Palace! LOL I love the fish, lobster etc at the Palace and will not get that at RDC. When we stay at Palace we still go to Bucerias (Dugarels for seafood!) I have always lived by you get what you pay for and leaning to staying at the Palace. I think after the first visit to Palace you get spoiled and hooked! Hard to leave it even for $400.00 less to go to RDC.