We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress Code for restaurants at Grand Velas

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
320 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Dress Code for restaurants at Grand Velas

Can anyone help? We will be there Feb. 24-27. Since we are not staying for a full week, restaurant suggestions in order of priority would be greatly appreciated. Here is what I am thinking.

Day 1 Azul

Day 2 Frida

Day 3 Lucca or the French Restaurant that starts with a P?

Also, I head that I need to email the concierge and make a reservation for night one the day before we go. Do I need to make spa service reservations prior to arrival?

Regarding a room request? Aren't all rooms with a oceanview? I hear I should also request a upper floor room?

Thanks for your help.

England
Level Contributor
318 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress Code for restaurants at Grand Velas

Hi, you should have a fantastic time at Grand Velas. It is a beautiful hotel.

Our family stayed last summer. Azul was nice for breakfast and lunch - or their is a more informal cafe by the pool at lunch.

For dinner we really enjoyed the three proper restaurants. It obviously depends on your food preferences, but we thought Piaf the french restaurant was best, then Lucca. The menus are on the hotel website so you could have a look. The food and quality of service was special in these restaurants and in a way this is why the GV rates are so high.

I'd suggest making a reservation for at least the first night - you can always cancel if you change your mind. No reservations needed at Azul.

I made spa reservations on the day with no problems. They have daily specials which can be quite a bit cheaper than standard treatments, so you might want to see what those are before you book.

All rooms seem to be ocean view and all are great. Furnished and equipped to a high standard with mini-bar, coffee machine and snacks.

Hope you have a really great time.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,600 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress Code for restaurants at Grand Velas

I agree with the previous poster. Use Azul for breakfast and lunch. It's basically a buffet although they will also serve you from a menu.

For dinner though, we like Piaf, Lucca and Frida in that order. They call it formal dress, but what they mean is no shorts, t-shirts or sandals. Long pants and nice shirt or sweater or jacket for guys and a skirt/dress or nice pant suit for ladies. You can get as dressed up as you want to. There were plenty of men in suits and ties but I didn't see and tuxes.

Yes you can see the menus on line and contact the hotel concierge for your dinner reservations. probably a good idea for at the least the first night. Then make the other reservations when you arrive. I had the bellman do it from our room when he brought us there with our luggage. Then I gave him a nice tip. Tipping early in your visit will go a long way. (Even though tips are included, you will want to thank some for their extra service)

All rooms have an ocean view so you need not worry about that.

You will have a fantastic vacation at Grand Velas. There's plenty of info about it posted here at TA

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,289 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress Code for restaurants at Grand Velas

I just wanted to say that anything above and including the third floor has a clear ocean view, but there are some rooms on the lower two floors which are blocked by the buildings around the pool area (it's a horseshoe arrangement).

Also, when we stayed there last year, we were first offered a room on the second floor that didn't have a couch on the balcony. We would have taken it but they offered to change us because the balcony door latch wasn't working. But we were really glad to have been changed to the third floor with a nice couch on the balcony and a clear view of the ocean.

We liked Lucca the best, but that's because we find that "French" actually means "International". We can get good chateaubriand, for example, many places in Puerto Vallarta (where we spend a lot of time), but the gourmet Italian served by Lucca is less easily available in Puerta Vallarta. But that's nothing against Piaf.

We didn't try Frida, but that's nothing against it.

We didn't like Azul that much. Another time, I'd have more room service breakfasts and lunches. But, again, I dislike big jostling buffets so it's a personal preference.

Granite Bay, CA
Level Contributor
582 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress Code for restaurants at Grand Velas

I prefer Lucca, then Piaf, then Frida. The other posters are right, go to Azul for your other meals and have your dinners at the specialty restaurants. I've never had a problem getting in on any day at the restaurants (maybe just having a later or earlier seating than I would have prefered) but, yes, you should make your reservations as soon as you arrive and it would be a good idea to make the first night's reservation in advance of your trip. Plan on at least a couple of hours for dinner at the restaurants. The pace is a lot slower there than we're used to in the States. I, personally, also really enjoy Azul. Besides the buffet, they have an extensive menu. Better than that, though, is to ask for whatever you really want and they will usually accomodate you. I've had shrimp scampi, mahi mahi, and giant scallops made to order all in one meal (I couldn't decide what I wanted so they brought me small portions of all three). If that isn't being spoiled, I don't know what is. We'll be there when you're there. We arrive on the 24th, but we'll be there all week. We are a group of eight, 40-somethings from California/Canada.

5. Re: Dress Code for restaurants at Grand Velas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 06:19