We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Issigeac with children

Newcastle upon...
1 post
Save Topic
Issigeac with children

Just wondered if anyone who has visited Issigeac would recommend it with children as we have been given the opportunity to stay there? We are admittedly lacking in French vocabulary, would this be an issue? Our kids are 10 and 7 and easily amused. Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Issigeac with children

Issigeac is "just ok" as a Périgord venue, IMO. I find it almost intolerably boring, but it does have some lovely medieval half-timbered buildings and a lively weekly market and is close to the Monbazillac vineyards. BUT, I would never choose to hang out there for more than an afternoon or so, given that there are SO many gorgeous other places to be. Plus, Issigeac is WAY out of the "normal" Périgord circuit (which can be a good thing...or not). I can't think of anything particularly wonderful about it for kids.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Issigeac with children

Lacking French is not too big an obstacle in this tourist area, but PLEASE learn a few basics, it really makes a difference.

As for Issegeac, if you are only going to use it as a base it may be OK. It is humongously busy on Sundays when all around descend for a fairly good market, otherwise you will have to travel so I hope you will have a car.

Aylesbury, UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Issigeac with children

Hi

Did you find any kid friendly things to do?

We are off in a ocuple of weeks.

Thanks

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,646 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Issigeac with children

We drove through some years ago, intending to stop for lunch - glad to see that St Cirq has verfied my impression!

There are lots of other places in the region where I would go before I would end up in Issigeac.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
463 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Issigeac with children

Issigeac is a pretty little village with a couple of very good restaurants like La Bruceliere and Chez Alain, and a busy Sunday market. Drive about 20 minutes into Bergerac and there's a go-kart track just off the D936, going towards Bordeaux. There's also an aqua park with pools and water slides in Bergerac. Or drive east via Villereal towards Monpazier and you can visit Chateau Biron with its dungeon, and a great treetop adventure park at Lacapelle-Biron called Parc en Ciel. There are also local village fetes which kids would love eg the Monpazier Fete on the weekend of 20 & 21 Sept (not sure when you're in the area?). There are also places where you can go for a short horse ride, even at beginner level.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,694 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Issigeac with children

I too like Issigeac, and with many of its medieval houses being half-timberframed it is quite a distinctive village for this area. But it is a very small place so you need to go elsewhere for a wider range of facilities.

In addition to the places mentioned by Rosemaryoz you could try the miniature port at Bergerac, where small electric boats are available for both children and adults:

www.bergerac-tourisme.com/Miniature-Port

If this is of interest note that outside the French school holidays it is only open in the afternoon on Wednesdays and at weekends.

Edited: 29 August 2014, 13:17
Reply to: Issigeac with children
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Issigeac