We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

overnight break in journey

London, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
overnight break in journey

Hi can anyone suggest a nice spot to stay overnight on journey from Nelson to Jasper in september

Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: overnight break in journey

The obvious choices are Banff and Lake Louise. In September, you may get slightly reduced hotel rates there. Other options include Invermere, BC (pretty close to the halfway point, and still in the mountains), or Baker Creek Chalets, Johnston Canyon Resort, and the other accommodations halfway between Lake Louise and Banff, in the area of the junction (Castle Junction) between Hwy 93 South and Hwy 1 (Trans-Canada Hwy). I would favour the latter myself, as being more economical, more isolated, and closer to the start of the spectacular Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93 North) connecting Lake Louise to Jasper. You will want to be able to spend the maximum amount of time on this route! You may even wish to look into staying at Simpson's Num-ti-Jah Lodge, on the south end of the Icefields Parkway near Bow Lake.

London, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: overnight break in journey

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, we are planning a 16 night break last 2 weeks Sept/early Oct, our route so far is Vancouver-Wistler-Kewolna-Nelson-Jasper-Icefields Parkway-banff(lake louise)-calgary, I would like to visit all on the list with the exception of Kewolna which i know little about but feel it might be a better stop off spot than kamloops, I am not worried about accomodation at this stage as I would like to get the route correct to include all I can and see of this beautiful area.

Thanks a lot

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: overnight break in journey

The city is Kelowna and is located in center of the Okanagan valley. You will going through the Okanagan during fruit harvest season, mainly apples at this time of the year. Beutiful location!!

Invermere or Radium would be great choices for half way stop. Both have hotsprings in the area, great for an evening of relaxing bathing in hot water!!

Enjoy your trip.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,797 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: overnight break in journey

On an Australian page yesterday a resident of Kelowna, whom I was assisting, described Kelowna as "the Palm Springs" of Canada! I thought that was a bit of a stretch as the temperature at that moment there was showing as -12c! LOL

I am also travelling in that area in June, and have chosen a route to stay in Kelowna on the way. It sounds like a very nice spot. I don't know about your travelling distances though as we will be coming from Banff on way to Vancouver.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: overnight break in journey

It can get warm at times in Kelowna, temperatures have been in the 40's(C). The area has four seasons for sure as yes it too can get cold. The Okanagan Valley is one of the premier places to visit, in my mind, with beautiful lakes, warm temperatures through most of the year, hot temperatures in the summer and recreational opportunities throughout the entire year (ski in the morning > golf in the afternoon).

Your drive from Banff to Kelowna will be through a lot of different terrain/scenery.

Enjoy your trips and welcome to a beautiful part of the world!!

:0 )

6. Re: overnight break in journey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 01:16