We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help suwapta vs the crossing

NJ
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
help suwapta vs the crossing

I only need to spend the night on my way to a stay at alpine village. not a lot of reviews of sunwapta and not too good for the crossing. any opinions where i should stay? i'll be there mid august. thanx for your help in advance!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,089 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help suwapta vs the crossing

Well, you could skip them both and just drive straight through to Jasper. Sunwapta is just 40 mins south of Jasper, and The Crossing is about midway along the Icefields Parkway (roughly the 2-hour mark). The Icefields Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper takes roughly 3 1/4 hours non-stop; but the scenery is such that it pretty much demands you plan to spend the entire day driving this road so you can enjoy the scenic viewpoints and short walks along the way.

However, if you are planning to stay along the Icefields Parkway so as to do more hiking in that area, you have four options: Simpson's Num-ti-Jah Lodge (on Bow Lake), The Crossing, Icefields Chalet (at the Columbia Icefields), and Sunwapta Resort.

I think the Crossing could be okay (assuming the location works for you - close to Howse Pass trailhead, at junction of Hwy 93 & Hwy 11), as long as your expectations are set appropriately: basic accommodations in a very strategic location with commensurate pricetag. But you might want to look into the other options as well.

Finally, if none of them seems satisfactory, you could look into going 45 minutes *east* of The Crossing, on Hwy 11, and staying in the Nordegg area:

http://www.travelnordegg.com/

NJ
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help suwapta vs the crossing

my original plan was to drive straight to jasper from calgary - my plane gets in about noon. problem is alpine village had no availability.

I had planned to do two things on the parkway, a hike up wilcox pass and an icewalk from the icefields center. that being the case i figured since i couldn't get alpine village sunday night, stay nearer the wilcox trail head and hike it, then post hike head to my cabin at alpine village.

i'd do the icewalk on my drive down to lake louise several days later. My biggest concerns about the reviews of the crossing had to do with cleanliness. I can deal with minimal atmosphere (heck i'm in the canadian rockies!) it's a dirty room that i really can't stand..

3. Re: help suwapta vs the crossing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 21:17