We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whats the best resort in Canada?

sydney
1 post
Save Topic
whats the best resort in Canada?

G'day all. Me and a buddy are going to Canada for the first time on a one year working Visa. We've got a ton of questions and thought this would be the best place to get some answers.

First things first what is the best mountain/resort. We are looking for a town with a nice village feel and a good nightlife. We were hoping to stay in or (very close) to the village. We initially considered Banff however places here look quite limited and expensive as it is a national park. We're also considering Whistler however this seems completely overran by Aussies (im an aussie) not that theres anything wrong with us but somewhere different we think would be nice.

We were planning to leave dec 26 but were unsure if there would be any jobs available this late in the season?

Cheers

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whats the best resort in Canada?

Hugger

There's a company www.intrawest.com that has put a lot of money into resorts, including Whistler. You may wish to consider Mt Tremlant in the Quebec Laurentian mountains. www.tremblant.ca

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,481 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whats the best resort in Canada?

Actually, the best place to ask this sort of question is on the Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree travel forum, specifically the Canada branch. Here's the link:

thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/categories.cfm…

If you scroll through the messages there, you'll find that dozens of other Australians are also looking to work at ski resorts.

From my observations, Australians seem to only want to work at ski resorts (and nowhere else) when in Canada, so, as long as you opt for working at ski resorts, you'll always be around other Australians. Whistler is certainly the most popular of any resort, as it is the largest and has a lot of pubs and nightlife, but every resort in Canada has a higher-proportion of Australians than anywhere else in the country.

Generally, ski resort jobs pay minimum wage, and many places have limited housing. Whistler, specifically, is known for a lack of housing, so many people end up sharing a one-bedroom suite with 3-4 roommates. Whistler's also incredibly expensive. Basically, work at a ski resort because of your love of skiing/snowboarding, but don't go with the intention of making much (if any) money, or expecting to live a typically Canadian lifestyle. I'm not saying not to do this, but just realize that there are more profitable jobs in Canada, and other ways of experiencing the country. :)

Here's some good posts about that on the Thorn Tree, to give you a better idea of the situation:

Here are some direct links to the individual posts:

thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/messagepost.cfm…

Alberta
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whats the best resort in Canada?

The Banff Gate Mountain Resort is very nice. I might be hard to get into so if you stay there book now. It is about 10 minutes from Canmore which has 10,000 people in it. Banff is only about 30 min. away and is an all out Vacation Mecca.

The resort is very nice and has an indoor pool. The units have 2 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms and a folding bed at the front door. All the units have kitchens and are very rustic and nice. The resort is built on an old ski hill and is up a mountain. You can get to it by car easy!!

Dead Man Flat's is only about a 2 minute drive and has a resturant a couple motels and a gas station with a decent food mart.

www.banffgatemountainresort.com

Happy Travelling!!

Sincerly, BTD

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: whats the best resort in Canada?

hey hugger;check out my fave ski hill in the rockies--jasper alberta.small town feel,quite a few bars and lots of great looking canadian girls...just what the doctor ordered...the cabinman

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
566 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: whats the best resort in Canada?

What about Sunpeaks resort in Kamloops BC. Town is about 80,000 with a country feel to it. Ski hill is about 30 min. away. Lots to do and see here, winters arn't too bad in town.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: whats the best resort in Canada?

I agree with Barkley - Banff Gate Mountain Resort is great and the prices are a little lower b/c they are a little further away from Banff. Banff is extremely crowded, but if it's nightlife you want, you'll definitely find it there. Work in this area would be tourism - predominantly ski hills in the winter and guiding and the like in the summer, and ranching in the nearby foothills. Southern Alberta's economy is predominantly ranching and oil & gas. I work in the ranching industry and know first hand that many,many Aussies and Kiwis come here to work on local ranches for a year. If you have a VISA and ranch experience, you would find work here quickly. I can hook you up with some local ranchers and feedlots, if you have experience.

Waterton Lakes National Park is a great little mountain resort village in Southern Alberta, but they are all but closed from mid-October through April. There are two lodges open all year, one restaurant and absolutely nothing else. Still, you may want to check that out next summer if you are in the area. The village is home to about 200 permanent residents. There are plenty of hotels there, a few bars, and TONS of hiking trails. The hiking is the main reason visitors go there. There is plenty of ranching work available in the nearby Pincher Creek area, if you have any experience in that field.

Jasper has the best of both worlds - smaller than Banff (read: less crowded!) but still has plenty of clubs etc. The local industries here are mainly guiding/tourism, logging and mining.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any further info.