We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours from Calgary stop Banff, Jasper, Ice fields, Kelowna ?

Qld
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tours from Calgary stop Banff, Jasper, Ice fields, Kelowna ?

Looking for some advice and hoping that someone knows if there are any tours from Calgary that go to Japer, Banff, Lake Louise, the Icefields and Kelowna?

My friend is getting married in Kelowna in Oct/Nov 2010 and we are trying to find a way of getting there where we see some of the sights. Am most interested in bus/privte tours probably leaving from Calgary (though am open to suggestions here), with overnight stops along the way as I realise now that there is a lot of distance between these places - my hubby prefers not to drive, so self drive may not be an option.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,148 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours from Calgary stop Banff, Jasper, Ice fields, Kelowna ?

The second half of October, and the month of November are outside of the tourist season; I don't know if there are any tour companies offering packages at this time of year - in Jasper in particular, there are hardly *any* visitors in November, much less busloads of them. There are local companies offering day tours, subject to minimum numbers of takers, so once you get here, it should be possible to book some of these.

For Calgary/Banff/Jasper, I would suggest (depending on when you come) either Brewster or the Sundog Connector. The Columbia Icefields operation (sno-coach tour and chalet building) shuts down around the middle of October - however, you drive right past the toe of the Athabasca Glacier on the Icefields Parkay, and have a great view of the glacier and the icefield, so you will be able to see it at least.

From Jasper, you can either take the VIA train or the Greyhound bus to Kamloops, and from there, I imagine you can get bus service to Kelowna. If you google up the Kamloops and Kelowna tourism people, they will have further info on whether there are any local bus lines, besides Greyhound.

Without a car, it's not going to be an easy trip. With a car, it may not be an easy trip either, because of the possibility of running into winter weather and driving conditions.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours from Calgary stop Banff, Jasper, Ice fields, Kelowna ?

I don't know if this is your cup of tea but there is a tour company that runs late season tours throughout the west. I don't know much about them but have seen them mentioned every once in a while.

http://www.moosenetwork.com/index.php

Hope this provides some more discussion for you.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours from Calgary stop Banff, Jasper, Ice fields, Kelowna ?

I do not think there are many if any tours that would go from those destinations to Kelowna. You might be able to find a tour to the first part of your trip then fly from Calgary to Kelowna. That would be way faster than they greyhound bus, and 100 times nicer.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours from Calgary stop Banff, Jasper, Ice fields, Kelowna ?

I work for tour companies and most end their season the first wk of october. Since Cdn thanksgiving is around the 12th that traditionally marks the end of the 'tour season'. You might check to see if Brewster operates their bus service from Calgary as they are a good source. I think the Moosetour mentioned is geared for the young backpacking crowd.

Qld
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours from Calgary stop Banff, Jasper, Ice fields, Kelowna ?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far I will look into the companies mentined :O)

Banff, Canada
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours from Calgary stop Banff, Jasper, Ice fields, Kelowna ?

pepper09QLD

I would consider breaking the trip up into 2 segments. Fly into Calgary and visit Banff/Lake Louise, and possibly Jasper and then fly from Calgary to Kelowna for the wedding. If you can come to Banff Lake Louise earlier (ie in Oct) then your chances for better/warmer weather.

You can always catch an Airporter Shuttle into Banff and use the local tour companies (or Town of Banff shuttle) to see the sights in and around Banff/Lake Louise and the Icefields. You can decide if you feel brave enough to rent a car for the day by yourselves to Lake Louise - depending on the weather.

We are in our slow season after ThanksGiving weekend Oct 9/10, so the transfers to Jasper townsite may no be operating, the Columbia Icefield Centre closed Oct 17th this year.

banffinfo - Banff Accommodation Reservations

7. Re: Tours from Calgary stop Banff, Jasper, Ice fields, Kelowna ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2010, 05:16