We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV or Car Hire?....that is the question!!

England
2 posts
Save Topic
RV or Car Hire?....that is the question!!

Hey there!!

Myself, my husband and our 3 year old son are planning a 2-3 week tour of Alberta in August and would like seasoned travellers opinion of their preferred mode of travel? Car or RV? We have weighed up the pros and cons but having never set foot in an RV its hard to decide!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

calgary
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV or Car Hire?....that is the question!!

You have never set foot in an RV and want to drive one through the mountains while getting used to driving on a different side of the road that you are used to, seems like a bad idea to me. Rent a car, you will be able to get closer to many places as it's easier to find a parking spot for a car than an RV, the cost of fuel for a car will be much less than an RV (money saved for hotels/motels).

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,161 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV or Car Hire?....that is the question!!

I don't think the car vs. RV question is really a question regarding mode of transportation, but more a question of what type of holiday experience do you want.

Thousands of people come from overseas every summer and drive an RV on the "wrong" side of the road, so if you are up for it, I wouldn't worry too much about that. However, we did an RV rental once (a 21 foot unit), many years ago, and did not enjoy driving it in towns or cities (and no "wrong" side, for us). That one rental cured us forever of the notion of buying our own.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,946 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV or Car Hire?....that is the question!!

This TripAdvisor Traveler Article will give you some more details on the pros and cons of RV rental for visiting the Rockies:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c104900/Canad…

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,946 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV or Car Hire?....that is the question!!

And, in case you're feeling a bit hesitant, I will point out that my husband & I *bought* our RV unit despite never camping in an RV. It's a decision we've never regretted - but we also did a ton of research before we took the plunge. So, MarleyEngland, you're doing the right thing :D

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,087 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV or Car Hire?....that is the question!!

Another consideration to be looked at is the hire cost of an RV compared to a car. I can see advantages on both sides, and have previously toured Tasmania by campervan, but after that experience I would choose a car, and did for the Rockies/BC in June 2008.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RV or Car Hire?....that is the question!!

With a child that young I would opt for the RV if it were me. My reasons:

1. He doesn't have to be confined to a car seat while travelling, since there will be lap belts at the table in the RV. This allows your son to have room to play games, colour, etc at the table, thereby enabling you to keep him occupied for a lot longer.

2. Access to a potty the instant you need it.

3. If it's nap time you can stop wherever you are and put baby down for his sleep, no need to put up with a cranky toddler for a few hours until you get to your next destination or get back to your hotel room.

4. Instant access to snacks and drinks when needed.

5. You have the chance for your son to experience "the great outdoors", complete with evening campfires, toasting marshmallows, etc.

6. You don't need to mess with packing/unpacking when you change locations. When my son was that age there was always a TON of things that we had to bring along - toys, snacks, drinks, extra change of clothes, possibly diapers, etc. You can load it in the RV once and be done with it.

7. The novelty of the RV will be entertainment in itself for the first few days.

I am definitely pro-RV and I could go on and on about what I like about it, but I think the above points are quite valid to your situation.

7. Re: RV or Car Hire?....that is the question!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2010, 05:20