We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planned trip to Vancouver, Jasper and Banff

belfast
8 posts
Save Topic
Planned trip to Vancouver, Jasper and Banff

Hi

I had originally posted this in BC forum but somebody helpfully told me I should add it on here too, all advice welcome

Hi

I would be grateful for some advice on our trip. We are planning our honeymoon, travelling from Ireland and have the following itinery. This is a once in a lifetime trip for us so we want to be sure we have made the best of it!

My two main concerns are:

1: Driving: are the roads likely to be clear from snow / ice by 17th April? I will be doing all the driving and am a bit nervous about ice etc. Also do you think we have split up the driving enough? I don't want to be driving all the time!

2: we are hugely excited about the trip and have budgeted to be able to do trips / excursions etc. We don't mind if they are the summer or winter ones however, I am concerned because we are going end of April we may miss out on both the Winter and Summer activities as some will have ended and some not started yet. For winter activities we would love to do the dog sledding, ice walking, maybe try skiing for a day if we could etc. We would also like to do some hiking, but would probably be happy with lower levels although a guided peak tour would be great. Kayaking, white water rafting or horseriding would all be fantastic too! Any of the above would be great my concern is we will miss out on a lot because things aren't running at that time.

This is our itinery, any advice or tips would be great!

Arrive Vancouver Mon 12 April - stay five nights Listel Hotel

Hire car

Sat 17th April - drive to kamloops stopover night Executive Inn

Sun 18th April - arrive in Jasper stay 2 nights Marmot Lodge

Tuesday 20th April - drive to Lake Louise stay 1 night Fairmont chateau

Wed 21st April - Drive to Banff stay 3 nights Buffalo Mountain Lodge

Sat 24 - drive to Calgary and fly home

we could add an extra night in Jasper and Banff

Many thanks

Clare

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
259 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planned trip to Vancouver, Jasper and Banff

Your trip sounds great, here are a few recommendations/changes I would suggest:

- Replace Kamloops with Kelowna. Kamloops isn't very exciting and Kelowna is the heart of BC's wine region (Okanagan Valley). If you like wine there are over 100 wineries to choose from and all kinds of great things to do aside from that.

- Spend the extra night in Banff (if you only had the one extra night). Jasper is nice, but if you want things to do than Banff is the way to go. Jasper really has a weak night life, so depending on what your plans were I would spend more time in Banff.

Driving is pretty good around that time of year, maybe a bit sloppy though. Obviously drive carefully through the mountains, whether conditions change rapidly and visibility around the many turns is not the best. However, the usual driving disclaimer aside you shouldn't have any problems especially if you use common sense.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,680 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planned trip to Vancouver, Jasper and Banff

I stay at the Marmot all the time. Not super fancy but nice. Don't know how your driving into Jasper but there is plenty to do for two days. Maligne LK and Canyon, visit Jasper Pk Lodge, Patricia and Pyramid lk. Lots of other places to visit as well. Never stayed at Buffalo in Banff but know where it is. You'd have to drive into town but it seems like a nice quiet place.

ontario canada
Level Contributor
216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planned trip to Vancouver, Jasper and Banff

your trip sounds wonderful. it is such a beautiful area! make sure to give yourselves enough time to drive between jasper and banff because there are so many things to see along the way. there is a falls and canyon area you can walk through closer to jasper. there is the icefields where you take a special bus right onto the glacier and walk around on it. lots of animals and scenic views and pictures to take along the way. johnstons canyon closer to banff is a wonderful little walk inside the canyon. it should be open at that time, but im not sure.

at lake louise take the road that goes out to morraine lake. it is the view on our old $20 bills and it is beautiful. i just dont remember how much snow will still be around in april though...

you may be able to get some skiing in at sunshine mountain, its closer to banff and its way up there.

you will easily fill your extra day in banff, there are lots of scenic outdoor things as well as pubs and restraunts and shopping. sulphur mountain goldola should be open to go up to the top of sulphur mountain. and there is a hot springs right up there too on the same area.

i think you will have a wonderful time. another idea, if you are spending 5 days in vancouver you may want to check out vancouver island. i know i love it there i personally prefer it way more than vancouver. its smaller and slower and quieter and there are so many beautiful things to see on the island like tofino and cathedral grove and all the little pubs and breweries

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,936 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planned trip to Vancouver, Jasper and Banff

Unfortunately, the Moraine Lake Road in Banff National Park will not be open yet when the OP is visiting in April. Other seasonal roads that will still be closed are the Cavell Road and the Miette Road in Jasper National Park. The Moraine and Miette roads open around the middle of May; the Cavell road about mid-June. The Moraine Lake Road is a cross-country ski trail in the winter, however, it's not possible to ski all the way to the lake due to avalanche danger.

5. Re: Planned trip to Vancouver, Jasper and Banff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2010, 05:19