We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 11 days too much?

Cambridge
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is 11 days too much?

I am trying to put together a trip for my in-laws. Here is what I have so far.

June 30 -fly into Calgary pick up rental car and drive to Banff

July 1 - Canada Day in Banff - gondola, parade, boat cruise?

July 2 - Lake Louise and area

July 3 - Johnson Canyon

July 4 - Drive to Jasper - stopping along way to see fallls, lookouts etc

July 5 - Maligne Lake

July 6 - Gondola ride, sights in area

July 7 - Head back to Calgary stopping at Ice Fields, staying a night in area Baker Creek perhaps

July 8 - Drive to Calgary and drop off car in downtown Calgary (won't need a car and why pay for the rental and the parking...no drop off fee if left downtown)

July 9 - Stampede parade

July 10 - Stampede Rodeo, Chuckwagon races etc

July 11 - take cab to airport and head home to Ontario

Just a note...my in-laws are in their 70's . Any suggestions....thinking it might be too long...not sure what to take out. I have talked them into the Stampede which I think every red blooded Canadian should see.

Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,386 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 11 days too much?

It looks like a good plan to me! Of course, you know your in-laws best, but the pace is not to fast, and if you find it to be too slow, there's lots more that can be added. Check this TripAdvisor Traveler Article on the "must-sees" of the Rockies:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c112507/Canad…

I would strongly recommend reserving a bleacher seat at the parade, as people start lining the sidewalks quite early. …calgarystampede.com/bleacher-seating.html

The Stampede actually opens on July 9, so you could go and see the rodeo after the parade, if you were so inclined; seeing the rodeo and the chuckwagon races on the same day tends to make for a fairly long day, and there are lots of free things to take in at the Stampede as well.

Check this article on the Stampede for First-time Visitors; it links to 3 additional articles about various aspects of the Stampede:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154913-c10714/Calgar…

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 11 days too much?

It all depends on what fitness/stamina level your in-laws are at, being in their 70's.

If they can look at the itinerary more like this:

Banff---4 nights

Jasper---3 nights

Canmore?---1 night

Calgary---3 nights

Then they may have an idea of how much they want to take on.

As much as I love Jasper, this may be the one thing to leave out.

They can still take a wonderful drive along the Icefields Parkway one day but with having only accommodations in Banff and Calgary over 7-9 days, it may be a much more relaxing trip for them.

3. Re: Is 11 days too much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2010, 07:19