We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in South Alberta

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Camping in South Alberta

Hi!!

I am hoping to camp with my family in Cypress hills, how far is it to Writing on Stone?

We would like to camp in a tent, over the July 1st long weekend, and I have found availability in these campgrounds:

Cypress Hills Beaver Creek (1 site left)

Cypress Hill Ferguson hill (34 sites left)

Cypress Hills Firerock (1 site left)

Cypress Hills Lodgepole (34 sites left)

Does anyone have any recommendations over the other? Are they much different than each other?

Thanks for any input that you can offer,

Suzanne

Maligne Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, River Rafting & Tubing, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Canadian Skyline Adventures
Walking Tours, Eco Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
White Mountain Adventures
Multi-day Tours, Helicopter Tours, Bike Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,901 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in South Alberta

I'm sorry, the only Cypress Hills campground I've been at was the Lakeview one, because I was camping in the off-season.

Writing-on-Stone Provincial Park and Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park are both well worth a visit. Unfortunately, Writing-on-Stone is about 3 hours from Elkwater, in Cypress Hills IPP. Here's a link to the route on Google Maps:

http://tinyurl.com/5tuplea

In Cypress Hills, watch and listen for the Wild Turkeys in the forest; it's one of the few places they're found in Canada.

Edited: 16 May 2011, 16:14
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping in South Alberta

Wild Turkeys? Lol, Never heard of them, I'll have to google them for sure!

I have been to Writing on Stone as well as the Cypress hills, but never camped there, and was in Writing on Stone almost 20 years ago, and don't remember the distances, but I know my husband and son would love those places, we love to explore.

what is the Lakeview campground like? Any outdoor swimming spots?

Thanks!

Suzanne

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,901 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping in South Alberta

Sorry, it's been too long to remember any details, and the lake was frozen at the time. It was April and we were the only ones camping.

Edited: 16 May 2011, 17:06
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping in South Alberta

Beaver Creek has hookups and is normally used by trailers and motorhomes. Ferguson Hill and Lodgepole are more suited to tent camping but are a couple of kilometers from the main swimming area. Firerock is at the west end of Elkwater Lake and has both tent and trailer sites. It is about the same distance from the main swimming area as Ferguson Hill but is connected to the main beach area by a lakeside trail.

We haven't tented in Elkwater for a number of years, but, when we did we tended to stay in the main Elkwater campground which was closest to the lake. If I had to choose between the campgrounds you've listed, I'd probably go with either Ferguson Hill or Lodgepole if I was tenting as long as you are OK with not being right next to the lake. The sites in these two campgrounds are a little more private and sheltered.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping in South Alberta

Thanks!!! That helps out alot.

6. Re: Camping in South Alberta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2012, 06:24