We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doing The Rockies Experience - advice please.

australia
Level Contributor
308 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Doing The Rockies Experience - advice please.

Hello TA members,

Advice needed once more on my pending trip to Canada. My family and I are looking at trying to do the Canadian Rocky Mountain experience next May after postponing from September this year. I have a few issues I need to resolve with your assistance :

1. Original plans was to arrive in Vancouver and do 10 to 12 days returning to Vancouver. ( hire car etc ). However, a lot of time and distance spent travelling from Vancouver before we get to the main part.

2. Next option is to arrive Calgary and do the Rockies experience and not venture to Vancouver. Similar time at area 10 to 12 days. Looking at doing one big loop. Fly in and Fly out of Calgary.

3. Travelling with 8 and 11 year olds. They like to fight as all kids do. I am concerned that the 10 to 12 days of travelling in vehicles without a theme park in sight may be too much for them. I love the place as would my wife but if the kids are not into it - well you know the rest.

4. If we decide to miss Canada Rockies but pop into the Niagra Falls area is Chicago the best route ?

Thanks in advance.

Parraboy

1. Re: Doing The Rockies Experience - advice please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 May 2011, 16:24
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,827 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doing The Rockies Experience - advice please.

G'day Parra,

Obviously you did not cancel Sept because the Eels might be in the Grand Final .......

In May it will still probably be mid spring, and there will still be snow around with the high mountain lakes still partially frozen. I had a look at the weather in Banff today (have a workmate there ATM) and o/night it is still -1c to +2c with days about +14c to +16c. Reports I am seeing say that this is a very late spring and there is still a lot of snow around.

I think that 10 or 12 days will be too much in the Rockies with the kids, as hiking options would be limited. There will be good white water rafting available though at Golden (various classes of water) and Jasper, horse riding at several places, and consider a trip from Calgary to Drumheller for the dinosaur museum:

traveldrumheller.com/royal-tyrrell-museum.ht…

I would definitely fly in/out Calgary with the kids, rather than a long drive to Vancouver (Are we there yet?). A few days in Vancouver could be productive, but I am not very experienced with that as the weather was ... very ordinary when we were there.

Nostalgically I note that for our trip we landed in Calgary three years ago tomorrow, our time. Do you need a guide for next year? :)

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,101 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doing The Rockies Experience - advice please.

Hi Parraboy;

If you decide to miss the Rockies, I would suggest flying to Toronto to visit Niagara Falls. (80 miles / 130 km away)

Best Regards

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,151 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doing The Rockies Experience - advice please.

If you come to the Rockies in May, it would be best to come late in May, anytime from the Victoria Day long weekend on (May 18 - 21, 2012). That is when most of the seasonal attractions open for the summer. If, however, you would like to ski or snowboard, Sunshine Village ski area near Banff stays open through the end of that weekend.

Toronto
Level Contributor
126 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doing The Rockies Experience - advice please.

You could fly into Calgary and visit Drumheller for a couple days to see the dinasaurs. Drive to Banff to spend a couple days there. Then drive the Icefields Parkway, stopping at Columbia Icefields (your kids will like riding that giant bus up the galcier) and various other sites along the way (that'll be a day). Continue onto Jasper to spend a couple days. Then head to Edmonton for a couple days where the West Edmonton Mall is located. It's maybe the largest or 2nd largest mall in North America and there's a large amusement park inside the mall with a water park, rides, skating rink, etc. That'll please your kids for sure. After your time in Edmonton, you can drive south back to Calgary to fly out. Doing this loop take up your 10-12 days.

australia
Level Contributor
308 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doing The Rockies Experience - advice please.

Hi Unclephil12,

I like the sound of that one - fantastic idea. Looking into that route for sure. Had planned to go onto Toronto after this to do Niagra falls etc but I will be a week too early for maid of the mist etc.... Not happy about that at all..... Cant do much about it. May reconsider my journey from Calgary whether to go onto Toronto or maybe Chicago and onto New York....

Thanks for the reply...... got me thinking positively again....

Cheers

Toronto
Level Contributor
126 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doing The Rockies Experience - advice please.

parraboy: If you are coming to Toronto in May, the Maid of the Mist in Niagara Falls should be running already. As a Torontonian, I would encourage you to visit Toronto but can't argue with New York...its a fun city for sure.

australia
Level Contributor
308 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doing The Rockies Experience - advice please.

Hi Unclephil12,

Unfortunately, I will be in Toronto around 20.4.2012 to 24.4.2012 and I dont think the maid of the Mist operates fully until start of May. Very disappointed about that but I will probably do the viewing and behind wall tour etc.... Not as god but not much I can do about that.

Cheers

9. Re: Doing The Rockies Experience - advice please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2012, 05:36