We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time -14days excluding flight

Singapore
Level Contributor
706 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
First time -14days excluding flight

I'm travelling family (hubby n 2kids-7 & 11yo)

Am thinking of going to vancouver, jasper national park/whistler, Banff, n lake louise n some time for the Seattle premium outlet...

Is this doable? How many nights should we stay in each place? We're planning to rent a 4wheel drive.

We've been to Yosemite national park n we love it just playing in the snow field...

Travelling between last week nov to 1st week dec.

Sold we fly into Edmonton n drive towards Vancouver n depart home from Vancouver?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,112 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time -14days excluding flight

That's a pretty lousy time of year to do that trip. Not sure if the ski fields will be open yet up there (they won't be on the coast), the cloud cover could be low, obscuring the spectacular views, and there is a serious risk of highway closures due to storms. Not saying you can't do this, just that you need to allow for a few realities.

1. Driving in the snow is no joke. If it is clear, then there could well be ice on the road, and if it is snowing, then you have the risks associated with that. Given you are from Singapore, I suspect you don't have a great amount of driving experience under these conditions, and a 4WD will in no way save you from driver error, and can sometimes make things worse when you don't know what you are doing. Front wheel drive is probably the safest.

2. Have a very loose and flexible itinerary. Don't over schedule and book things too far in advance, so that you can choose your driving days carefully, and only drive as far as the conditions allow.

3. I would fly into Calgary, tour the Rocky mountain area, then fly from Calgary to Vancouver to minimize your weather-associated risks.

4. Many of the popular tourist attractions will be closed at that time of year. On the up side, it won't be crowded.

5. You will have very short daylight hours at that time of year - probably something like 8:30 am to about 4 pm, limiting your time available to tour and sightsee, as well as drive safely.

Those are my thoughts. I'm sure others will have more information for you.

Edited: 04 July 2012, 20:12
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time -14days excluding flight

I agree with Vancouverite. This is not a good time of year to be travelling in the mountains by car, even for experienced drivers.

Since you have already bought your plane tickets, I recommend spending a day or two seeing sights in Edmonton and then taking the Via Rail train to Jasper, spend a couple days there, and then continue by train to Vancouver. If it's clear weather, the sights will be beautiful from the train and at least you will be safe (i.e. not in a car on the highway in the middle of a brutal Canadian winter).

Here is Via's website:

http://www.viarail.ca/en/taxonomy/term/5

Singapore
Level Contributor
706 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time -14days excluding flight

Thanks!

I have blocked seats but havent issue...

Was actually toggling between Switzerland/Rome or Rockies... Unfortunately I can't change travel dates

Singapore
Level Contributor
706 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time -14days excluding flight

Hi guys,

What do you think if we fly into Vancouver and drive towards Whistler? Will the winter/activities be closed in Whistler during that time?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,850 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time -14days excluding flight

Whistler is about 800kms from the Rockies in BC. Your above question would be best directed to the BC forum.

6. Re: First time -14days excluding flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 21:17