We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting car from Calgary to banff

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Renting car from Calgary to banff

I am flying into Calgary and needing to rent a car for 5 nights to drive to banff. I been calling car rentals and looking online. I am finding better deals online (400ish), still pricey! Can anyone help me find a more economical way, preferably not too far for the airport.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,349 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting car from Calgary to banff

Are you trying to drop the car in Banff at the end of your stay? That could be the problem. What are you doing after you drop the car? Its only a couple of hours between Calgary and Banff, how were you planning to spend the 5 days?

If you do a loop from Calgary to Calgary, then you should find the cost is cheaper.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting car from Calgary to banff

Hi,

Sorry, I forgot to mention that we are dropping it off in Calgary. Flying into Calgary, renting a car to drive to banff for 5 days and then back to Calgary.

Calgary
Level Contributor
125 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting car from Calgary to banff

not sure about your dates or the size of car needed, but I plugged Sept 2 - 6 into the Rent-A-Wreck website and selected »Full Size as the type of car, and got a price of $299 Cdn per week. (for pickup at the south Calgary location) As usual, check with your credit card issuer as well as your personal car insurer to be certain that one or both will cover your rental car, thus avoiding an additional 18$ or so per day added to your bill. Also, if asked how recently you arrived in Calgary,and you responded ``within the last 24 hours`a surcharge will likely be added to your rental contract.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting car from Calgary to banff

I called my insurance company today and they printed out a Motor Vehicle Insurance Card for non-Canada residents. No charge. They said we may get asked for proof of insurance.

My other option was to use the Am Ex card to pay for the car. I have their insurance policy for $25 and whatever foreign transaction fee they might add on for the rental.

Either way I wouldn't want to get stuck with the $18 per day.

5. Re: Renting car from Calgary to banff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2013, 10:17