We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get from Whistler to Jasper

Mississauga, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
How do I get from Whistler to Jasper

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me with the issue of going from Whistler to Jasper. What is the best way? Here are some travel details,

I do NOT have a car.

I am traveling from Vancouver to Calgary but want to stop in whistler and jasper on the way.

I do not have time to stop anywhere between Whistler and Jasper.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Scott

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get from Whistler to Jasper

I believe you would have to get back to Vancouver, and then you could either take the Greyhound bus (www.greyhound.ca) or VIA Rail train (www.viarail.ca). There are several bus departures each day, if I recall correctly,, and depending when you are coming (what part of the year), there are either two or three trains per week.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,093 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get from Whistler to Jasper

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums, Scootroy!

You do realize that neither Jasper nor Whistler is "on the way" from Vancouver to Calgary, right? Whistler is over an hour north of Vancouver, and Jasper is about three hours north of Lake Louise.

Just checking, as sometimes people post on this forum without being too familiar with the geography involved.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get from Whistler to Jasper

Hi Scootroy ~

The only way possible for you is to take the bus down to Vancouver and transfer east from there. Your choices are Greyhound or Pacific Coach Lines, with the latter being a better quality ride:

www.pacificcoach.com

Just to tweak a bit of information given above, it takes about 2 hours to drive from Whistler to Van, but about 2.5-3 hours on a coach. As you say you don't want to stop anywhere on the way to Jasper, my vote would be for picking up VIA Rail out of Vancouver to Jasper. Pacific Central Station is where all three companies arrive/depart, so you'd just have to walk around the station to transfer. There's a McDonalds in the station.

As of January 1/13, VIA Rail will depart Vancouver on Tuesdays and Fridays at 8h30 pm, arriving in Jasper at 4h00 pm the next day. If you rode in coach, you would want to think about food for that 18 hours. From Jasper, you could look into taking Sun Dog down to Calgary.

http://sundogtours.com/

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get from Whistler to Jasper

VIA has food services aboard their trains. In "comfort class" (coach), there is a snack shop , with limited selection of soft drinks, coffee etc., snacks, pastries, and reheatable sandwiches etc. (they have a microwave). You can also have meals in the dining car. If you are travelling in coach (with no sleeping accommodation, other than your reclining seat and the pillow and blanket they provide), meals are not included. If you book sleeping accommodation, they are.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,175 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get from Whistler to Jasper

As you don't have a car, I would divide the trip up in your head. Part 1: Vancouver and the Coast (Whistler and anywhere else you are planning to go). Fly to Calgary to start Part 2: Rockies. This will give you a lot more options for transportation.

Mississauga, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get from Whistler to Jasper

Thank you for all the reply's. So I guess I should add a couple details in here. We are planning on going to Jasper to visit with friends as well as Banff and there are specific days they finish work and have off. Also, money is an issue, silly to be travelling with no money but still.

Has anyone taken the VIArail route before? How comfortable is it for overnight? the timing was from 20:30 to 16:00, an 18 hour ride.

Thanks!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I get from Whistler to Jasper

I've done overnight VIA trips many times, including the Vancouver to Jasper run. You can save money by going in coach, with no sleeping accommodation, and it's not so bad for just one night. It's like sleeping on a red-eye flight - a reclining seat, pillow and blanket - and there is lots more leg room on the train. I find I get "enough" sleep, although broken, to function the next day, and then one good night the next night gets me as good as new again.

Greyhound is likely cheaper, unless you can find a good deal by buying in advance on VIA - but VIA will be infinitely more comfortable a trip, since you can get up and walk around, go up to the dome car etc. The difficulty with VIA will be whether their schedule coincides with when you want to travel.

Whether you go by train or bus, you can save a few bucks by taking your own food and snacks with you, if possible. Greyhound has stops along the way, some of which are at/near fast food restaurants where you can dash in and grab something to eat.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,093 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I get from Whistler to Jasper

Once in Jasper, your trip to Calgary will be via Sun Dog's shuttle to Banff, and then Greyhound from Banff to Calgary; Sun Dog no longer goes between Banff and Calgary. www.sundogtours.com/airport_shuttle.php

If you're travelling in the summer months, you can take a Brewster shuttle from Jasper all the way to Calgary: brewstertransportation.com/banff-airport-exp…

Or save a little money by taking Brewster from Jasper to Lake Louise or Banff and then Greyhound on to Calgary.

Edited: 28 December 2012, 19:47
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
547 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I get from Whistler to Jasper

Although not cheap there is another route. The Rocky Mountaineer does rail service from Whistler to Jasper.

rockymountaineer.com/en/…search

10. Re: How do I get from Whistler to Jasper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2014, 10:15