We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights Jasper or Banff which is better !!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Lights Jasper or Banff which is better !!!

Hi all , we are travelling to Calgary >Banff> Jasper> for a 2 week holiday at the end of September , can anyone advise us at which place would we have a better chance in seeing the Northern Lights .

We also have an option of taking a side trip up to Fort Mac Murray if there is a better chance of seeing them , but would rather stay around this region the Jasper region .

Kids also want to know if there is any skiing available Sept/ Oct in the region .

Thanks In advance

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,410 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Lights Jasper or Banff which is better !!!

Jasper is farther north and they are regularly seen from here (as well as Banff... google Paul Zizka Photography to see some spectacular shots from the Banff area). Most of the time when I see them here, they are whitish flickers in the sky... if you didn't know better or if you didn't stop to watch for a minute or two, you would just think they are just high clouds. Sometimes there are greenish ones.

Skiing doesn't start until mid-November at the earliest. The Canadian Rockies consistently have the earliest opening dates for ski resorts in Canada. I know we have a reputation as a "winter nation", but geez, September can still be quite summery sometimes! (Friends of mine were married here in Jasper in late September a couple of years ago, and it was 27C that day ... that is, however, unusually hot for that time of year. And, two days later, I was hiking in Wilcox Pass (at about 7000 feet) in a blizzard...)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Lights Jasper or Banff which is better !!!

Thanks for the reply , what's the best advantage point to see these lights in Banff or Jasper ?

How many days would you recommend to spend in Banff , Lake louise and Jasper to get a good feel of the place .

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Lights Jasper or Banff which is better !!!

the chances of seeing northern lights are pretty slim unless you go far north. they do occur occassionally but it's just lucky if you see them. no skiing at that time of year.

New York City, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Lights Jasper or Banff which is better !!!

Hi i am going to Jasper and Banff on 1st week of july. Is there any possiblity to see northern lights.

Please suggest me . so i can plan accordingly.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,379 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern Lights Jasper or Banff which is better !!!

Not very likely, as they're more active in winter than summer. Sorry.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,410 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern Lights Jasper or Banff which is better !!!

The other "problem" is that there are not very many hours of darkness at this time of year. Here in Jasper, although the official sunset time is about 10:20 pm, there is still light in the sky at midnight, and with sunrise around 5:30 am, the sky starts getting light again by 4 am.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northern Lights Jasper or Banff which is better !!!

I live in Southern Ontario and have seen the Northern Lights on a handful of occassions (maybe 10 times), so it is rare, but the majority of the time was in the summer months. As for Jasper and Banff, you're chances are better than where I live, but again, they are a rare. That being said, there is still a chance if you are lucky. I would never say that the chances are at 0%....more like a 3% chance at that time of year.....but 3% is still better than 0%. I hope you get lucky. Best viewing is out of town away from the town lights. In Banff, Jasper and Lake Louise you wouldn't have to venture far to get away from lights.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,410 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Northern Lights Jasper or Banff which is better !!!

Yes, but you'd have to wait until 1 or 2 am before the sky is completely dark in July. However, I would not call sighting the northern lights "rare" here in Jasper in winter... I saw them at least a dozen times last winter, without even trying... just from my back step right in town.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Northern Lights Jasper or Banff which is better !!!

Pretty much the same here in krp. Total darkness doesn't set in until 11pm. Not sure when your sunsets are in July.....midnight?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,410 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Northern Lights Jasper or Banff which is better !!!

No, krusty, the latest sunset in the year was the other day (June 21, the summer solstice) and sunset was 22:22. Now the days are getting shorter again. :-(

Get answers to your questions about Alberta