We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary to Banff

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
14 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Calgary to Banff

Arriving in Calgary, and wonder which is the nicer drive to Banff? The Trans Canadian H or Bow valley trail?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,213 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary to Banff

They are both fairly scenic. Bow Valley Trail (Hwy 1A from Calgary to Canmore via Cochrane) is a slower, more winding route. It's 2 lanes undivided and with no shoulder, compared to the Trans-Canada Hwy (Hwy 1, TCH, 16th Ave N in Calgary) which is a 4 lane divided highway with generous shoulders and some scenic pullouts.

If travelling at night, in poor weather, or near dusk/dawn, the Hwy 1 would be my choice for scenery and for reducing the chances or hitting wildlife and pedestrians on or near the road. I would also pick Hwy 1 if I was travelling west on a Friday afternoon, as the traffic volumes and associated craziness on the Hwy 1A at the start of a weekend could be unsafe.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary to Banff

I see that you are posting from the UK, and if so, I would recommend the transcanada highway only because it's easier if you are not used to driving in Canada on the right side of the road, ;)

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
14 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary to Banff

Thanks for the good advice.

4. Re: Calgary to Banff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 05:19