We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Day trip from Calgary

Calgary, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
3 Day trip from Calgary

Hi,

I`m planing for a 3-Day trip from Calgary to the choice of places.

Can anybody give your opinion for planing the trip.

Potentially to stay 3 nights as well with Two 6 Yr old Kids.

The timing would be the Canada day long week end

The stay budget is not more than $600 for the trip.

Please advice me with your expertise.

Thanks,

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,588 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Day trip from Calgary

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums!

Normally, I would recommend Banff instantly, but I don't know if your budget will cover accommodations for four plus meals for three days. It's possible, but since the July long weekend is less than a month away, it's quite likely that the budget accommodations (Homestead Inn, Irwin's Motor Inn, Banff Voyageur Inn, Banff Y hostel, HI Banff Alpine Centre hostel) are all fully booked already.

Plan B would be to stay at the Delta Kananaskis and enjoy K-Country; ask them about family programming for the long weekend, as I understand that they have good kids' programs during spring break.

But I think at this point in time, I'd suggest staying in Brooks, about 2 hours east of Calgary. From Brooks, you can visit Dinosaur Provincial Park (a UNESCO World Heritage Site), which has those amazing hoodoos. Check the Dinosaur PP website and see if there is still space in their tours and programs for that weekend. Even if they're full up, it's worth a visit:

http://www.albertaparks.ca/dinosaur.aspx

Also from Brooks, you can visit Kinbrook Island Provincial Park, on the shores of Lake Newell. Lots of places for kids to run, play, & explore. Lake Newell also has a colony of huge American White Pelicans, which are quite the sight to see. Finally, there is the Brooks Aqueduct, a huge modern aqueduct that was built in the 1920's and is now abandoned; a pretty unusual sight in this part of the world!

http://www.history.alberta.ca/brooksaqueduct/

Other things to see in the Brooks area are Tillebrook Provincial Park and the grounds and gardens at the Crop Diversification Centre South:

http://www.albertaparks.ca/tillebrook.aspx

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/opp4386

Edited: 12 June 2013, 17:06
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,669 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Day trip from Calgary

Just in case you were considering Jasper, I thought I'd mention that it's probably too late to easily find accommodation in your price range for the July long weekend. At $200 per night max for four people (which is $180 per night, plus 11% taxes), that basically rules out hotels although there may be a few of the cabin places with units in that price range, but they are likely already booked.

PHA (private home accommodation) would be the logical choice - all of them are less than $200, and no additional taxes, but from what I hear, they are getting booked up for the holiday weekend. Since there is no "central reservations" type of set-up for them, you would have to send out a lot of email enquiries. Another option would be to wait to book until ten days before, and then look for availability in the online ten-day vacancy report on the website link below.... check it a couple of times a day for when hosts post last minute cancellations, and when one comes up, enquire immediately.

Hotels & cabins: www.jasper.travel (look under "seasonal accommodations")

PHAs: www.stayinjasper.com

Edited: 12 June 2013, 17:26
Calgary, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Day trip from Calgary

Thank you very much for your reply.

Wow, I have never been to that side of Alberta and it is very interesting to know.

Is that dinosaur provincial park different from the one in Drumheller..!!!!

Your info is very helpful .

Calgary, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Day trip from Calgary

Thanks for your reply,

I did have a look at Jasper Hotels and the pricing did not fit my budget and the pricing i mentioned is just for the stay, and i have more to spare for food and stuff.

But i should check the last minute deal which i did not know before.

Thanks Again.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Day trip from Calgary

We really enjoyed the Historic Reesor Ranch, in the Cypress Hills. You could take a trip to Writing on Stone as well.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,588 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Day trip from Calgary

Writing-on-Stone Provincial Park is a great destination for kids; they love climbing the stone hoodoos there. I remember doing that as a kid and scaring myself half to death.

www.albertaparks.ca/writing-on-stone.aspx

The tours of the petroglyphs (which may only be accessed by guided tours) are also very educational.

You can camp there, or stay at the nearest town, Milk River, which is 40 minutes away.

7. Re: 3 Day trip from Calgary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 06:18