We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5.5-day Itinerary (Sept 1-6)

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
5.5-day Itinerary (Sept 1-6)

I have read some of the useful threads on this forum including the one on Itineraries. I'm just wondering if I'm planning this well and get your feedback on it. My wife and I will land very late in Calgary around 9:00PM. Coming from the US, I know we will have to go through customs in addition to renting car.

- Since our time is short, I plan to drive directly to Banff for a 2-night stay there (Sept 1-3).

- Check out early on the 3rd and make our drive to Jasper making stops along the way for the views (skipping the glacier). Check in on Sept 3rd evening at Jasper. The only reason that I think we should spend a night in Jasper is because the view from Jasper Tramway seems to be a can't-miss.

- Now this is where I am not sure in regard to how long I should stay in Jasper. I would like to take that Jasper Tramway up for the spectacular view but I don't know how much time is needed for it. Would it be feasible to check out from Jasper on the 4th, do the Jasper Tramway with the luggage in the car, then drive back down to Banff on the same day? Or do we need to stay for another night in Jasper and head back to Banff on the 5th? With the latter option, what else can we squeeze in aside from the Jasper Tramway to spend on Sept 4th in and around Jasper?

- Depending on how long we stay in Jasper, we'll get back to Banff on the evening of Sept 4th or 5th. (We'll try to find things to do near Banff that we haven't manage to do on our first stay there although I haven't an idea what to do near Banff yet aside from visiting Moraine Lake, Lake Louise, Yoho National Park and possibly Johnston Canyon).

- We'll check out on the 6th and drive back to Calgary to catch our flight at 2:30PM.

Aside from a few unresolved details, does that seem like a good plan? Thank you in advance for any input.

Additional info: We are in our 30's but haven't hiked once in our lifetime. Short hikes are probably okay. As odd as it might sound but we are terrified of bears so we only consider hiking when it is safe to do so.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,311 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5.5-day Itinerary (Sept 1-6)

Hi and welcome to the TripAdvisor forums!

Assuming there are no line-ups at all, you can "do" the Jasper Tramway in as little as 25 or 30 minutes - 10 minutes up, 10 minutes down, and a few minutes at the top to enjoy the view (not that I would recommend this!) Alternatively, you can spend an entire day up there - you can hike up to the top of the mountain (about 1 km, 175 m elevation gain) and then wander down into the alpine meadows on the other side, and up Indian Ridge, the next mountain over (actually, the Whistlers, the small mountain the tramway is on is but a shoulder of Indian Ridge, when seen from the south).

One possible "kink" in your plans is if your one day in Jasper is completely overcast - socked in and rainy. If you can't see the upper terminal of the tramway from town, you won't have any views from up there.

I would recommend booking asap for your dates in Banff, since it falls on the Labour Day long weekend.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5.5-day Itinerary (Sept 1-6)

Thank you krp329 for your help. My trip in the Canadian Rockies were much better than I had hoped. What a beautiful place.

3. Re: 5.5-day Itinerary (Sept 1-6)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 05:16