We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport from Banff to Fairmont in April

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
243 posts
Save Topic
Public transport from Banff to Fairmont in April

Hi folks,

My husband and I will need to travel from Banff to Fairmont Vacation Villas at Mountainside on 4th April 2014.

Our constraints are :-

1. we will not be driving a rental car as we are two 60-years old who are not confident about driving on the left-hand side of the car, in an unfamiliar mountainous area in April.

2. we checked Greyhound time table and noted that there is one trip Banff to Windermere, but it

only arrives at Windermere at 10.30 pm !!! No direct and no other trips from Banff to Fairmont

Our questions are :-

1. is there no direct public transport from Banff to Fairmont? If there is, which bus stop is nearer to Fairmont Vacation Villas at Mountainside?

2. if indeed we have to take this bus that arrives in Windermere at 10.30 pm, will there be taxis or something at this hour that can take us to Fairmont Vacation Villas?

3. are there alternatives in addition to Greyhound??

Any assistance on this matter would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,219 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport from Banff to Fairmont in April

I think you may have a problem, as I suspect that Greyhound is your only option. . But your best bet is to post on the Inverrmere forum, where there will probably be more people who are familiar with the taxis and public transportation in the area:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g181783-i4356-Inver…

A web search turns up Invermere-based Columbia Valley Taxi, but that's no guarantee that they are still operating:

www.invermere.ca/biz.php?do=display&id=198

At least they have an email address.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
243 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport from Banff to Fairmont in April

Hi Country_wife,

Thank you for your input, especially the taxi contact. We'll get in touch with them.

After our 7-night stay in Fairmont, we're going to Panorama for a 6-night stay. The taxi company seems to cover Panorama too. Have to do some math as to whether it'll be more practical to put up 1 night in Windermere (Greyhound has no trip to Invermere), since it arrives at 10.30 pm and arrange for the taxi company to take us to Fairmont from Windermere the next morning (they appear to cover Windermere as well).

Well, only the taxi company can enlighten us.

Meanwhile we'll also enquire from the 2 resorts in Fairmont and Panorama on this transport issue. Maybe they can help.

Thanks again!!

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
243 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport from Banff to Fairmont in April

Hello again Country_Wife,

There's another option that comes to our mind...........use car rental only in the Fairmont and Panorama regions. This depends on :-

1. the roads being not too busy (don't wish to annoy other drivers with our "experimental driving"). April is a low season, right?

2. roads are generally safe to drive (not slippery/wintry conditions and not too steep a gradient)

Would appreciate your views on this option. Thanks again.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport from Banff to Fairmont in April

definitely contact the places you are staying and ask their advice. i'd also inquire if they might know a local that hires themselves out to drive people. would obviously be more expensive then greyhound but for convenience...might be worth it to you.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,219 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport from Banff to Fairmont in April

"i'd also inquire if they might know a local that hires themselves out to drive people."

I'd be very cautious about this second option, if it even exists. Make sure that they are insured to carry that kind of passenger. Some years ago, my husband occasionally drove clients in his own car, and we were required to have extra insurance coverage for that. We dropped that coverage as soon as we were able.

I'm not familiar enough with roads in the Columbia Valley around Invermere and Windermere to make any suggestions as to whether driving yourself in a rental is an option during the winter. I seem to recall, from researching earlier questions, that it's not easy to rent a car there in any case.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,943 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport from Banff to Fairmont in April

"A local that hires themselves out to drive people" - isn't that basically the same thing as a taxi? Besides additional insurance, when you drive passengers for pay, you are also required to have a different type of driver's license.

calgary
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport from Banff to Fairmont in April

The road from Banff to the Invermere Valley could be susceptible to snow and ice in April.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
243 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport from Banff to Fairmont in April

Hello folks,

Many thanks for all your suggestions/advice. Seems a taxi is the safest option. However, will continue to research. Thank you again.

Cheers!

9. Re: Public transport from Banff to Fairmont in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2014, 07:18