We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information to travel in and around Alberta

Calgary, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Information to travel in and around Alberta

Hey Hi Guys,

I am new to Calgary and want to explore places like Edmonton, Vancouver, Banff, Rockies and many more in November and December. I don't have an international license. Please can anyone suggest me how to move around and best time to visit these places and also how to get there.

Thanks a lot...

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,738 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Information to travel in and around Alberta

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums!

It's tougher without a car but there are buses from Calgary to both Edmonton and Banff. Check out www.greyhound.ca and the Red Arrow line (if I remember the name correctly) for Edmonton, Greyhound and various shuttles for Banff. Head to the Banff forum page and look at the top right of your computer screen to see the "Top Questions"... there will be one there that deals with shuttles from Calgary airport and downtown. Greyhound also goes to Vancouver, but you may prefer to fly instead. WestJet offers discounts on those fares from time to time - go to their website and sign up for their newsletters (or like their facebook page) to get notice of upcoming seat sales.

Calgary, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Information to travel in and around Alberta

Thanks for the reply. Can you suggest me what is the easiest and convenient ways to go to Vancouver?

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Information to travel in and around Alberta

Quote : Greyhound also goes to Vancouver, but you may prefer to fly instead. WestJet offers discounts on those fares from time to time - go to their website and sign up for their newsletters (or like their facebook page) to get notice of upcoming seat sales. Unquote

Also check out the B.C. forum for trip reports and top questions.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,215 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Information to travel in and around Alberta

If you're licensed to drive back home, you may not need an international drivers' permit. This Alberta government page gives more information:

saferoads.com/drivers/visitors-driving-in-al…

If you don't hold any drivers' license, then in addition to the options described above, you can take the luxury Red Arrow commuter bus from Calgary to Lethbridge, Red Deer, Edmonton, and Fort McMurray: www.redarrow.ca

There are two shuttle buses from Calgary to Banff & Lake Louise, in addition to the Greyhound:

Brewster Connect - explorerockies.com/airport-shuttles/calgary-…

Banff Airporter - www.banffairporter.com

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Information to travel in and around Alberta

greyhound will get you most anywhere. via rail is good. also check out moose network.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,215 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Information to travel in and around Alberta

Good point about the Moose Travel Network, lttt. I see that most of their trips end the season in November:

www.moosenetwork.com/tours_canada_west.php

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Information to travel in and around Alberta

The most convenient way to travel is via train.

8. Re: Information to travel in and around Alberta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 November 2013, 14:35
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,985 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Information to travel in and around Alberta

The easiest and most convenient way to travel to Vancouver is to FLY. Look at WestJet.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,215 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Information to travel in and around Alberta

@Nick T: The only scheduled train service in Alberta is Jasper-Edmonton-Saskatoon (Saskatchewan). That's not very practical for travel within Alberta.