We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bear watching

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
bear watching

travelling to waterton nat park in sept of 2014, my friends and I would love to know are there any particular areas which we may find bear or more of a likely hood of finding bear

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,726 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bear watching

The most likely place you will see a bear is alongside a road. In September, the bears wander far and wide, driven by the need to bulk up for hibernation. They apparently feed up to 20 hours a day. On the eastern slope of the Canadian Rockies though, there are no predictable seasonal food sources (unlike BC with its salmon runs). Berries are one of their main food sources, and they tend to follow the ripening berries up to higher elevations. The best bet will probably be to ask at the Parks Canada visitor centre where recent bear sightings have been.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bear watching

In Waterton, I have seen many black bears around the Crandell campground area. They have lots of berry bushes in that area which are in season in August and September and the bears love them.

I agree that you should ask at the visitor centre when you arrive and the staff can probably direct you to some areas that are good for bear watching.

Good luck. :)

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
307 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bear watching

We were lucky to have had several bear sightings in Waterton NP in 2010 in September. We saw a grizzly (&cubs?) in a meadow just above the main road. Then on the opposite side (lake side) of the main road, a black bear was walking up the hill. We stood outside of the car & hubby kept filming as the bear got closer, until a Conservation Officer asked him to get back in the car (I had already gotten in). We also saw a grizzly swimming across the lake. These instances were all close to the townsite. Yet the last time we were in Yellowstone NP, we didn't see one bear! So sometimes it's just 'the luck of the draw'. I hope that you all have good luck in Waterton!

Oslo, Norway
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: bear watching

Hallo,

We have visited Waterton several times in September, and seen many bears, both black and brown.

The easiest viewing is from inside your car along and on Red Rock Parkway.

At this time of the year the bears eat berries alongside the road. We have seen bears every time we have been there in September.

Regards from a fellow bearwatcher

5. Re: bear watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 05:15