We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short ski trip from Calgary

Bruges, Belgium
11 posts
Save Topic
Short ski trip from Calgary

Hi folks

what would be the ideal two day low budget ski trip from Calgary?

where to go? how to get there? where to rent skis? where to stay? how much are lift passes?

and not unimportant: which place would have the most beautiful setting?

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short ski trip from Calgary

my first recommendation would be Banff, but I'm not sure what qualifies as low budget. I do like nakiska too.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 01:45
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
315 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short ski trip from Calgary

Fairly smoking deal at the Delta in Kananaskis with skiing at Nakiska - limited hill but very pretty area and great price ? You can rent there too no problems.

skinakiska.com/vacations/…

Rob

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,261 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short ski trip from Calgary

I would think that Fernie and Kimberley would also be within reach? Or too far?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
5,964 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short ski trip from Calgary

With one or two nights and the unpredictability of winter weather (especially if you don't have much experience driving on snowy roads0, you are probably best with one of the Banff area resorts (Lake Louise, Sunshine or Norquay) or Nakiska. I believe you can get one pass for the first three, so you can ski more than one resort if you so desire.

Both are a comfortable driving distance from Calgary (under 2 hrs, as opposed to 3-4 hours for those in BC) and less dodgy roads. I'm sure you can find package deals for all four - check out the tourism websites for Travel Alberta, Banff/Canmore etc.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
68 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short ski trip from Calgary

My suggestion would be to rent equipment in calgary. Do one day at norquay and one day at lake louise or sunshine. Norquay is the cheaper smaller hill (but a little steep) . A lift ticket will be 60-85 dollars.

6. Re: Short ski trip from Calgary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 06:19