We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian Rockies and Yellowstone USA - Please Comment

Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Canadian Rockies and Yellowstone USA - Please Comment

This is quite a wild idea from our group of 5 who intend to spend the 15 days in July 2014 to cover as much ground in the Canadian Rockies and Yellowstone USA. After checking the Tripadvisor forum of Canadian Rockies, Yellowstone and relevant information we can find in the web, we think that the idea might still be doable. The mode of travel is by rental cars and internal flights. I would appreciate any comments, feedback or suggestions to the following initernary if the tour is doable, and if so will need to start booking in a couple of months.

We have travel and driving experiences in US and always love the freedom of driving in these vast lands and making our favourite photo images.

Here is the itinerary:

Day 1: Arrive from Singapore to Calgary in late afternoon, stay in Calgary.

Day 2: Pick up rental car in Calgary, drive to Banff and to Lake Louise. Stay in Lake Louise.

Day 3: Stay in Lake Louise.

Day 4: Drive to Jasper, stay in Jasper.

Day 5: Stay in Jasper.

Day 6: Drive to Banff, stay in Banff.

Day 7: Stay in Banff.

Day 8: Drive to Calgary early morning, return rental car. From Calgary fly to Jackson Hole, USA. Pickup rental car at airport and stay in Jackson Hole.

Day 9: Drive to West Yellowstone and stay there.

Day 10 to 13: Driving tour in Yellowstone National Park. Stay in West Yellowstone.

Day 14: Return rental car. From West Yellowstone fly to Salt Lake City. Salt Lake City - SFO - Hong Kong - Singapore.

Will really appreciate any comments, feedback, suggestion or indication of anything we missed out.

Thanks all in advance.

Steve

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
619 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian Rockies and Yellowstone USA - Please Comment

I can only comment on the Canadian Rockies part but yes that part is doable.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,294 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian Rockies and Yellowstone USA - Please Comment

Definitely looks do-able, at least the Canadian portion. (Haven't been to Yellowstone, so can't comment on that). At the risk of repeating information you may have already read on the forums, in regards to staying in Lake Louise... you do know that it's an expensive place with limited services, right? It's only 45 minutes' drive from Banff, so can be easily visited as a day trip. However, it may be your preference to stay in three locations in the Canadian Rockies (certainly a valid choice!), but you could also head to Jasper on Day 2, stay 2 or 3 nights (there is plenty to see - Jasper National Park is almost twice as big as Banff NP), then drive down to, and stay in Banff.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian Rockies and Yellowstone USA - Please Comment

Sounds like you are packing in a lot, but still doable....

Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian Rockies and Yellowstone USA - Please Comment

Hi Jeepyj93, Krp329 and tdsuperstar, thank you so much for the comments and view. They are words of encouragement for us to look deeper in the trip planning.

Krp329 on cost of staying in Lake Louise is true as I checked rates and compared them of those in Banff. I will certainly consider staying in Banff and do more day driving around Lake Louise. Also may think of spending more time in Jasper as there have bigger national park.

Thanks again and hope to have more view and especially on the plan of visiting the Yellowstone National Park.

Cheers,

Steve

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,214 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian Rockies and Yellowstone USA - Please Comment

I thinki its doable as well. I think you may wish to consider two days in Yellowstone and add Grand Teton National Park as well. Yellowstone is huge and while I normally only spend one day two would cover a lot of ground with time to explore.

Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian Rockies and Yellowstone USA - Please Comment

Thanks davidgmg for the input and suggestion of the length of stay in YNP and adding tour to GTNP. After reading forum of the GTNP, he is right that it is worthwhile to spend more time in GTNP. Will refine the itinerary and thanks again.

Steve

7. Re: Canadian Rockies and Yellowstone USA - Please Comment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 05:18