We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which route from Golden?

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Topic
which route from Golden?

I am planning a trip from Seattle to Saskatoon and am trying to choose between the route from Golden through the Yoko National Park or going down to Radium Hot Springs and heading back up through Kootaney (sp?) Park. The plan is to make it to Banff that night. Any reccomnedations on which route would be better? Not nessicarily (sp again?) faster but more scenic with better stops along the way....Thanks in advance!

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which route from Golden?

If you want to make it from home to Banff in one day, I do not believe you'll have time to drive from Golden to Radium Hot Springs to Castle Junction to Banff townsite. It will make for too long a day.

The drive through Kootenay National Park is beautiful, but then so is the drive through Yoho National Park.

If you had the time and energy, you could stop in Yoho National Park to see Emerald Lake and Takakkaw Falls. But even that is not realistic, in my opinion. Each of those detours would add an hour or so to your drive, and I do not believe you can afford to add two hours to that day's trip.

Remember that you'll lose an hour between Revelstoke and Golden when you cross from the Pacific to the Mountain Time Zone.

I suggest that you drive straight through Yoho National Park. Then, when you cross over into Banff National Park and reach Lake Louise village, see how you're feeling. Keep in mind that, once you leave Lake Louise village, you'll still have a 45-minute drive to Banff townsite.

Anyway, if you feel up to a detour when you reach Lake Louise village, do the 9 mile drive to Moraine Lake and walk to the top of the pile of rocks at the north end of Moraine Lake. Assume that the drive to Moraine Lake, the stop to see it, and the drive back to Lake Louise village will take an hour or so. The short walk to the top of the pile of rocks will give you a view of the lake that is infinitely better than the one that you can get if you simply walk straight to the lakeshore from the parking lot.

If you have any time and/or energy left over after driving from Seattle or Anacortes to Lake Louise village, the best use of that energy would be a visit to Moraine Lake, in my opinion.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: which route from Golden?

Not planning it all in one day....was planning the first night in Revelstoke or Golden with the second night in Banff. If I decide to do the Kootaney route, might try to push through to Radium Hot Springs for the first night then on in the morning....