We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cross Canada Trip

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cross Canada Trip

Hello,

I will be driving from Alberta to New Brunswick this summer (moving there). Thus far, I have decided to do the trip over 10-12 days, however, I'm unsure how to proceed, if there are better places to see, etc. etc.

Current itinerary...

1. Edmonton

2. Saskatoon

3. Winnipeg

4. Thunder Bay

5. Timmins???

6. Montreal (2 days)

7. Quebec City

8. Fredericton (final destination)

Any places I should see along this route?

Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
5,206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cross Canada Trip

I did the same route in the opposite direction from Thunder Bay to Edmonton, but I'd go via Sault St Marie after Thunder Bay. The stretch between Thunder Bay and Sault St. Marie is one of the most beautiful parts of the drive (Saskatoon to Thunder Bay isn't very interesting). You drive along the lake - great views.

Timmins is way the heck in the middle of nowhere and has pretty much nothing of interest - if something happens along the road up there, you are long way from just about anything.

To be honest, I think you'd better adding an additional day - in Ottawa, Toronto or Kingston to break up the drive to Montreal. Otherwise you've got an 11+ hour day - and that's a lot, especially if the weather is nasty or you hit traffic somewhere

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,766 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cross Canada Trip

hi

you could go via Sault Ste Marie to North Bay to Ottawa and then Montreal

I would spend the extra time in Ottawa or Montreal . Montreal to Fredericton is an easy day.

not sure if you want to stop in the cities as you are only spending the night there and moving on so maybe look at

1 Yorkton

2 Kenora

3 Thunder Bay

4 Sault Ste Marie

5 Ottawa

6 Ottawa

7 Mont Tremblant for future ski trips ?

8 Montreal

9 Montreal

10 quebec city

11 fredericton.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,093 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cross Canada Trip

I agree about going via Sault Ste Marie and Sudbury for the views along the north shore of Lake Superior.

Here's Cbaarch's suggested route on Google Maps:

https://goo.gl/maps/VHfsj

I would suggest planning a day's break in Thunder Bay (see the Terry Fox Memorial and Fort William Historic Park) or Sudbury (Science North, Dynamic Earth, Big Nickle) because you're going to want a break about then and a chance to do your laundry & stuff. I also agree with Cbaarch's suggestion to plan to go all the way to Yorkton (or even Portage La Prairie) to get those old familiar prairie miles behind you as quickly as possible. (If you're Corner Gas fans, consider whether you want to take a more southerly route to stop in Rouleau, Saskatchewan.)

Lots to see in Ottawa, I like the idea of staying there a couple of day to see Parliament Hill and various monuments and museums. I'd spend two days in Quebec City rather than Montreal, but that's just because I'm madly in love with Quebec City.

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cross Canada Trip

This is great information!! I realized yesterday that Timmins was a strange location to stop at.

I will definitely take this all into consideration, and modify my trip plans accordingly!

Is it worth stopping somewhere between Thunder Bay and Sault St. Marie, is it that drive for the day just nice in and of itself? Is there a nice site to stop at for a picnic lunch or dinner along the way?

Is there much to 'see' in Yorkton or Kenora, or are they more or less places to get a room and continue with the journey?

Thanks!! This is so helpful.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,208 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cross Canada Trip

The drive between T-Bay & the Soo is quite spectaular. It's an 8 hour haul, so you should make some stops along the way.

At Rossport - about 2.5 hours southeast of Thunder Bay,. Pretty little community right on the water ...a nice place to stop for lunch or ice cream.

White River - the original home of Winnie the Pooh.

Wawa - you must stop to see the iconic giant Canada Goose ... right by the highway ... sort of a kitschy must do thing on a cross country trip.

You are close to the lake from T-Bay to Marathon - then the highway heads inland until Wawa, at which point it again moves closer to the lake. There are lots of rest stops/raodside picnic stops along the way.

From Kenora to Thunder Bay, it's all rocks & trees, rocks & trees. make a stop if it's still light at Kakabeca Falls .. very pretty.

I do the drive between Toronto and Thunder Bay about once every two years - it's a long haul, but definitely lovely. If you don't think you can make the Soo, then Wawa would be the best place to stop over night.

Edited: 17 May 2014, 18:41
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cross Canada Trip

Thanks for all of the great information!! I appreciate.

So, I've planned the prairie 'leg' of my trip...and I'm just wondering if this sounds about right. From what I've gathered, there's nothing great to be seen in Sask/Manitoba....but I've never been! So I'm wondering if this seems alright...

1. Edmonton (leave in the AM, pit stop in Saskatoon, take a walk around, eat etc, and then to Yorkton for the night)

2. Yorkton (leave in the AM, as I don't think there's much in Yorkton, but pit stop in Winnipeg, similar idea, lunch/dinner, walk around a bit, and go to Kenora for the night)

3. Kenora

Does that first bit seem feasible?

Thanks!!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,208 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cross Canada Trip

I think you are being extremely ambitious in your driving times. Are you the only driver? Have you given any thought to how many hours you want to be driving, and are you comfortable driving those distances?

Edmonton - Yorkton is 9.5 hours of straight driving - without budgeting time for stops - meals, gas, etc.

Yorkton - Kenora is 8 hours straight driving - again without stops.

Note that these highways are not multi-lane freeways ... in some areas they are two-lane highways. Kenora is a very small town - you should book your accommodation, as you don't want to be arriving late at night and find there's no room at the inn.

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cross Canada Trip

Hey! It's definitely good to hear that it sounds unreasonable. I will not be the only driver, so I'll be able to switch off with my partner. I'm comfortable with driving longer days, and near the end of the trip I'd like to relax a bit more. Maybe I'll reconsider what I'd like to get done, in how much time. :)

I will definitely start getting on booking places to stay. Thanks!

9. Re: Cross Canada Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 07:16