We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff & Yoho Pass

Camden, Australia
Level Contributor
174 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Banff & Yoho Pass

Hi,

Needing some help with park passes, i'm a little confused.

Day 1 Arrive in Calgary at 1.00pm driving into Banff and staying the night.

Day 2 Driving to Yoho National Park and staying the night in Jasper.

Day 3 Driving to LL and staying the night in Banff

Day 4 Staying in Banff the day, dropping the car off at 6pm at Calgary.

Can you please help me out with what passes I need and where to buy them?

Thanks

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,122 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banff & Yoho Pass

G'day neighbour,

You only need three one day passes on what you have said, and you can purchase them at the gate between Canmore and Banff on your way from Calgary. Simple.

As to doing this trip in 3 days, I hope you might be planning to go back again to do the region justice sometime in the future. I could spend three days in Jasper alone with ease.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,181 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banff & Yoho Pass

Daily passes are valid until 4 pm the next day, so as Frommy mentioned, you will need 3 one-day passes. You can buy them all at once as you enter Banff National Park at the east gate on highway 1.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banff & Yoho Pass

I hope you don't mind if I comment on your itinerary. Some people like driving a lot, others (experience has shown) are just not aware of the driving times involved.

Day 1 Arrive in Calgary at 1.00pm driving into Banff and staying the night. (90 min - 2 hours driving, not including stops for food, fuel, & sights)

Day 2 Driving to Yoho National Park and staying the night in Jasper. (5 hr 45 min driving, including stops at Takakkaw Falls and Emerald Lake in Yoho.) Make sure to top up your fuel at Lake Louise before heading north to Jasper on the Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93N). There is only one gas station between Lake Louise and Jasper, and the fuel there is very expensive and they can be very busy. Also arrange to bring any meals and snacks you'll want along the way. There are only a few restaurants along the way, and they tend to be busy, expensive, and mediocre. Allow lots of time, because you will want to make many stops to enjoy the amazing scenery.

Day 3 Driving to LL and staying the night in Banff. (4 hours driving.) Note that Lake Louise will probably be fairly busy at this time of day; the best time to visit Lake Louise and Moraine Lake is early in the morning, before 9 or 10 am.

Day 4 Staying in Banff the day, dropping the car off at 6pm at Calgary. (90 min - 2 hours driving)

May I make some alternate suggestions? You could skip Yoho on Day 2 and focus completely on the Icefields Parkway. Or you could visit Yoho on Day 1, it seems like you have time; most Banff hotels won't let you check in until 4 pm, if I recall correctly. Of course, you may be too tired from travel and time zone changes for that to be practical.

Finally, you may want to stay in Banff and do a day trip part way up the Icefields Parkway (to the Columbia Icefields & back) and another day trip to Yoho rather than packing up all your things to spend one night in Jasper.

Edited: 20 July 2014, 17:56
Camden, Australia
Level Contributor
174 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banff & Yoho Pass

Thanks everyone for the advice. I should correct myself when i say Jasper, we are only going as far as Icefields attraction staying at the Glacier View Inn.

I was told i need a seperate pass to visit Yoho National Park is that correct or the park pass i buy gives me access to Banff and Yoho? Also as i am there 4 days won't i need 4 1 day passes? Are they per car or per person?

Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Banff & Yoho Pass

You can buy an individual pass (with different rates for adults, seniors, and youth) or you can buy a pass which will cover 2-7 people travelling in the same car (group pass). Your pass will cover all of the Canadian Rockies National Parks: Mt Revelstoke NP, Glacier NP, Yoho NP, Kootenay NP, Banff NP, & Jasper NP. It's not unusual for people to visit several of these national parks in one day, and paying separately is just too cumbersome. One pass has covered all the parks for as long as I can recall.

If you will be staying in Banff after 4 pm on the 4th day, you will need passes for 4 days. However, to drop the car off in Calgary at 6 pm, you'll have to leave Banff no later than 4:30 pm. Since passes are good until 4pm the next day (national parks "check out time", if you like), you'll really only need 3 day passes.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 01:36
Camden, Australia
Level Contributor
174 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Banff & Yoho Pass

Thanks Country_wife :)

And can i buy these passes from the airport when i pick up the car?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Banff & Yoho Pass

No, you either buy them at the Banff park entrance (usually very quick) or online:

https://parkpass.banfflakelouise.com

8. Re: Banff & Yoho Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 06:15