We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where do I get my park permits? Grocery store?

chicago
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
where do I get my park permits? Grocery store?

Just a few final questions before my trip to Banff in less than a week:) 1. Where do I get park permits to enter the national parks and also to drive the icefield parkway? and how much for the week? I would like to pack a small cooler for my picnic along the icefield parkway. 2. My next question is where do I purchase food(deli meats, chips etc.) in Banff . Is there a grocery store on the way to the parkway? I will be leaving from Banff Fairmont Springs Hotel. Thanks :)

Edmonton
Level Contributor
453 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where do I get my park permits? Grocery store?

I assume you're driving from Calgary. There are booths on the highway as you are entering the park where you buy your pass. The pass would be good for all of the national parks and covers the Icefields Parkway. rates are $9.80 a day per adult. You can get a yearly adult pass for $67.80 or a yearly family pass for $136.40.

Hopefully others can chime in with specifics regarding yoru food question. There are multiple options in Banff and maybe 1 or 2 around Lake Louise.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,460 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where do I get my park permits? Grocery store?

Hi rbenney:

This TA page on national park entry fees should be helpful:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c13975/Banff-…

Assuming that you are picking up a rental car at the Calgary airport, you will buy your pass at the park gate as you enter Banff National Park on the TransCanada (Hwy 1). If you are picking up your rental car here in Banff, you will buy your pass at the Park Information Centre, 224 Banff Avenue.

There are two supermarkets in Banff: Nester's, in the 100 block of Bear Street, and Safeway, at the intersection of Banff Avenue and Elk Street. There is also a wonderful deli (for truly extraordinary cheeses, charcuterie) at the Bison Bistro in the 200 block of Bear Street, and a bakery (the WildFlour) also in that block.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,460 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where do I get my park permits? Grocery store?

And here's a link to the Parks Canada page listing all the fee options:

pc.gc.ca/voyage-travel/…carte-pass1_e.asp

Edmonton
Level Contributor
453 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where do I get my park permits? Grocery store?

oops, forgot to mention, if you happen to be 65 or older, there are senior rates: $8.30/day/adult or $57.90/yearly/per adult.

chicago
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where do I get my park permits? Grocery store?

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: where do I get my park permits? Grocery store?

Both grocery stores are an easy stop in downtown Banff if you are driving from the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel. Our town is a small town, so by that time you'll be a *pro* at navigating your way around town. There are a couple of parking spots out front of Nestors, to pull over for a quick stop and shop!

banfflakelouise

7. Re: where do I get my park permits? Grocery store?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2010, 05:17