We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parks admission fees

London
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Parks admission fees

.As part of our 3 weeks holiday, we will be arriving at Banff on first week of July for two weeks tour of Canadian Rockies.

I know we have pay for the Park admission fees which can be a significant sum.

Is it possible to buy a single ticket which will cover all parks around Banff, Jasper and along the Icefield Parkway? If so how much is it? Is that per person/ per family or per car?

We will be driving from Vancouver via Glacier National Park and therefore it would be good to get a Park admission ticket which will cover all.

Is there a website that provides this info?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,694 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parks admission fees

You should find all the information you need in this TripAdvisor Traveller Article about the park fees:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c13975/Banff-…

This article is also linked in the Top Questions in the right hand column of this page.

But to answer your question briefly, if you pay the park fee for Banff National Park, it is also valid if you go to Jasper NP (or any of the other mountain parks - Yoho, Kootenay, Glacier, or Mt Revelstoke) during the same time frame.

London
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parks admission fees

Thanks Country_wife for the info and the link.

I knew that the park fees are expansive, but didn’t realise it would be that EXPANSIVE.

Let me understand clearly; if I buy a daily park ticket ($9.80) say 9am in the morning then the same ticket will remain valid until 4pm the following day. That means I get almost two days worth of validity with the same daily ticket. Is that right?

We will be staying in the area for 13 days and if we get almost 2 days worth from a single ticket then why should we buy the annual pass ($67 PP)? I am sure I have missed something here…..

We will be staying at Banff for 4 days and do the sightseeing around Banff, Lake Louise etc. Are there any ticket booths to buy our daily tickets from?

I am trying to decide if we should buy daily tickets or the annual pass.

Edited: 09 June 2011, 16:30
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parks admission fees

sidwhite, read the link again that CW supplied.

1.) 2 people in one car costs $19.60 for a Day Pass and $136.40 for an Annual Pass.

2.) Two weeks on a Day Pass is 14 days x $19.60 = $274.40.

3.) Obviously the Annual Pass is a great deal at $136.40.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

4. Re: Parks admission fees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 June 2011, 17:06
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parks admission fees

And by the way, considering the ENORMOUS size of the Canadian National Parks system (almost equal in size to the ENTIRE UK - think about that for a moment!) and the infrastructure that is maintained to handle the millions and millions of tourists annually I think the Park Pass rates are extremely reasonable.

Unlimited access to 27 National Parks and 77 of National Historic Sites for an entire year for 2 - 7 people in a vehicle for only $136.40... that's a great deal by any measure.

Cheers,

Terry

London
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parks admission fees

Martain24,

Yes I noticed the price $19.60 for a day pass with a car with upto seven people.

The price $9.80 I mentioned about is I believe for one person for one day.

OK let me ask again:

If we buy a daily park ticket ($19.60) say 9am in the morning then the same ticket will remain valid until 4pm the following day. That means we get almost two days worth of validity with the same daily ticket. Is that right? Can’t be as simple as that…

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parks admission fees

Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking... A Day Pass is exactly what it says it is... a Pass for one (1) day.

You buy it anytime on the day you arrive and it's valid until the following afternoon at which point if you're staying in the Park you purchase another Pass that once again is valid until the following day. What is it about this that's confusing you?...

Cheers,

Terry

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parks admission fees

Ahhhh.... one of your fellow UKers just PMed me and explained what you're trying to do... you're attempting to somehow make a single Day Pass stretch to almost 2 days and therefore only purchase a Day Pass every 2 days for the duration of your 2 week trip... I get it now.

Nice try, but no cigar. I trust my explanation in Reply #7 has sufficiently explained how the Day Pass is indeed for one (1) day.

Cheers,

Terry

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parks admission fees

"... If we buy a daily park ticket ($19.60) say 9am in the morning then the same ticket will remain valid until 4pm the following day. That means we get almost two days worth of validity with the same daily ticket. Is that right? Can’t be as simple as that…"

=============================

Yes, if you're exiting the Park at 4pm then it is indeed just as simple as that.

Cheers,

Terry

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,255 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parks admission fees

Just as a small comparison, if my husband and I were to visit the Tower of London for *one day*, it would cost $63.60 Canadian. To visit any national park in Canada for the duration of your 13-day stay will cost your party of up to seven people $136.40 Canadian, and you will have the satisfaction of knowing that your ticket price is helping to support the programs and facilities of the national parks that you are enjoying.

Get answers to your questions about Banff National Park