We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff/Jasper NP vs Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP for 6 day trip

Madisonville...
Level Contributor
35 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Banff/Jasper NP vs Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP for 6 day trip

My wife and I are considering visiting either GTNP/Yellowstone or Banff NP/ Jasper NP in Canada. We are goign in early July this year and for around six days. I've read on the forums that many people say that if you go to yellowstone/gtnp youwill see more geological and wildlife beauty and if you go to the canadian rockies it will be amazing scenic beauty but some wildlife. I lovemountains and the opportunity to climb a small/day hike would be great. I also want the opportunity to do some hiking, biking, and river rafting. Clearly the hotels in Jackson Hole,WY are really expensive for a 3/4* hotel compared to Banff area which is ~$100 less/night. Could someone please suggest ideas for me.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banff/Jasper NP vs Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP for 6 day trip

Just a guess, but I'd expect that everyone on the Banff forum will say " come to Banff " and everyone on the Yellowstone forum (assuming you posted there) will say "come to Yellowstone".

Clicking on Things to Do ( in the green column, top left of your screen) will take you to pages about hikes, etc. Visiting the Banff pages (as well as the BnP pages, where you are now) and clicking on the same link will show you more.

Madisonville...
Level Contributor
35 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banff/Jasper NP vs Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP for 6 day trip

You have a great point. I was trying to gather both forums opinions and make a decision. Your assumption is correct, no one mentions anything about Banff/Jasper in the Grand Teton/Yellowstone Forum. Thanks for the feedback.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banff/Jasper NP vs Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP for 6 day trip

You are comparing apples to oranges, and you will have a great trip whichever you choose!

Calgary
Level Contributor
774 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banff/Jasper NP vs Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP for 6 day trip

Having been to both parks I have to agree with all the other posters...

It's simply a matter of opinion...

The Icefields parkway is probably one of the most beautiful drives I've ever done in my life...but then some of the mineral pools in Yellowstone are out of this world...

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Banff/Jasper NP vs Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP for 6 day trip

You can't go wrong with either. I plan to go to Banff/ Jasper for 2 weeks in Sept. I have been to Glacier national park and Waterton Lakes in Canada. In terms of majestic scenery and wildlife...fabulous! That has been my favorite national park trip which is why I planned to see more of the Rockies in Canada. Yellowstone is great in other ways. Many wonderful geologic features easily accessible with boardwalks and short walks. Very crowded. You see many animals like bison...some elk, moose and bear in the Grand Tetons. Tetons are beautiful but nothing like the grand scale and beauty of the Rockies! Both trips are great but very different. Just depends on your interests.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Banff/Jasper NP vs Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP for 6 day trip

Naturally, we want you to come to Banff. 6 days will only be a teaser though - many people don't realize that we are actually 4 National Parks - 4!! The scenery in Banff National Parks is all big grey peaks, turquoise rivers and lakes, pine forests and snow up high. The wilderness around the Icefields Parkway is vast, immense and stunning. You can see Glaciers.

Chances are if you come, you'll be booking another holiday soon enough. There's a lot to see and do and it really is an incredible sight. Driving the Icefields Parkway early in the morning is a pleasure and worth getting up early for. There's a very good chance of seeing wildlife.

The town is a thriving mountain town. It's great to enjoy an evening of strolling along the river and renting a canoe. Or having ice cream on Banff Avenue and watching the world go by.

Taking the Banff Gondola late in the evening is MAGIC! Frequently, there's no people in the evening and we have daylight until 10:00PM.

http://www.explorerockies.com/banff-webcam/

Lake Louise is a glorious sight. People get weepy when they see it - it's that effecting. It's worth it to get there very, very early in the day - calm, quiet and amazing.

The ice usually leaves the lake by mid June and it's beautiful any time of year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl90ndr2JF8

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Banff/Jasper NP vs Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP for 6 day trip

I've spent time in both and you can't go wrong. It will really depend on what you want to do/see.

Yellowstone has a lot of variety - especially all the wildlife and thermal features. Add in the nearby Beartooth Mountains or the Tetons and you have some pretty mountain scenery as well.

For just scenery, I think the Canadian Rockies are more dramatic and stunning. If I was just hiking or backpacking, I would choose the Canadian Rockies.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Banff/Jasper NP vs Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP for 6 day trip

Two years ago I was trying to decide whether to travel to Banff/Jasper or Yellowstone/GTNP to go along with Glacier NP in Montana. I let the airfare dictate our decision and ended up with a great rate to Jackson.

Patience has paid off as we are immensely looking forward to our trip this summer. The irony is we'll get to spend the whole two weeks exploring the Canadian Rockies and western BC. If we chose this destination two years ago, it would only be a week and not two.

As stated earlier, you can't go wrong with either choice.

Edited: 27 April 2012, 16:21
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Banff/Jasper NP vs Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP for 6 day trip

Oh wow! Ive done both, too hard to decide between them, as they are beautiful and very interesting places to spend time at Personally if I had to choose I would pick Yellowstone and Grand Teton, mainly because of the active geology and for the incredible Beartooth Higway. Cant comment on the accomodation as i trailer it.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Banff/Jasper NP vs Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP for 6 day trip

Eanie meanie miney moe...