We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which route from Eureka, MT to Banff??

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
164 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Which route from Eureka, MT to Banff??

Which route is preferable or more scenic from Eureka...Hwy 93 through Radium Hot Springs or Hwy 40 through Canmore?? It appears the shorter distance is going up Hwy 93. If we go Hwy 93, is there anything to stop for?? We have all day to get to Banff, so have time to stop along the way.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which route from Eureka, MT to Banff??

I'd probably take Highway 93.

Edited: 27 June 2012, 20:57
Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which route from Eureka, MT to Banff??

Follow route 93. That would save about an hour or more.

Kimberly has a small German theme pedestrian mall. A little cheesy perhaps. You can also do a coal mine tour in Kimberly.

Just north on Cranbrook is Fort Steele which is a western heritage village.

Wasa provincial park has a small sand beach. Although this year the water level may be too high due to all the rain.

Lussier Hot Springs are east of Skookumchuck. These are free natural hot springs with minimal facilities.

Golfing in Invermere

Radium Hot Springs (in Kootenay National Park).

Several short trails in Kootenay Park:

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/bc/kootenay/activ/activ1.aspx

Marble Canyon would be my choice as it only takes 30 minutes or so.

Once you get into Banff park you'll be right at Castle Mountain. Stop for photos. Then perhaps do the hike up Johnston Canyon.

There are two really interesting attractions to see if you take the Hwy 40 route through Alberta. Frank Slide and Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
164 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which route from Eureka, MT to Banff??

Thanks! We are leaving tomorrow for Glacier and then on to Canada! We will definitely take Hwy 93 then! Thanks for your suggestions, Rautakallio..we already planned on hiking Johnston Canyon..and might add Marble Canyon or the hot springs. What is there to see at Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump?? We looked at stopping by there on our way back to the US, but wasnt sure if it was worth going out of our way.

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which route from Eureka, MT to Banff??

HSI is an interesting museum and interpretive centre dedicated to the Buffalo Jump and First Nations/Plains Indians history. I think it's very well done. It's worth a detour if you're into that kind of thing. If that doesn't interest you then it's not worth the detour...

history.alberta.ca/headsmashedin/default.aspx

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g182207-d18…

Frank Slide is where a massive land slide wiped out a small mining town in 1903. There is also an interpretive centre there.

history.alberta.ca/frankslide/default.aspx

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,297 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which route from Eureka, MT to Banff??

I would also suggest route 93. I came thru Kimberly and also thought the whole route was very scenic and enjoyed the drive. I know you'll like it.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which route from Eureka, MT to Banff??

Highway 93 is a lovely, easy and relaxing drive. The last hour and a half you will be traveling through the National Park(s) which will give you your first taste of our region. Make sure to hit all the viewpoints along the way after departing the town of Radium! There's lots of great photo ops. Watch the speed limit - it changes to 90 kmh in the National Park.

7. Re: Which route from Eureka, MT to Banff??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 00:45
Get answers to your questions about Banff National Park