We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike suggestions? Banff & Jasper

Louisville,KY
Level Contributor
304 posts
327 reviews
Save Topic
Hike suggestions? Banff & Jasper

3 days in Banff and 3 in Jasper. Looking for suggestions on Hikes with Great Vistas. We are in decent shape and 50 years old. Not looking for hikes over 4-6hours.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,057 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hike suggestions? Banff & Jasper

Here are some of my favourites (although my Banff NP hiking experience is more limited than Jasper):

Plain of Six Glaciers (LL)

Larch Valley (Moraine Lake - subject to "tight group of four" restrictions at some times of the year)

Eiffel Lake/Wenchemna Pass (Moraine Lake - subject to "tight group of four" restrictions at some times of the year)

Parker Ridge (Banff NP, not too far south of the Columbia Icefields)

Nigel Pass (Banff NP, not too far south of the Columbia Icefields)

Wilcox Pass (Jasper NP, about 3 km south of Icefields visitor centre)

Opal Hills (Maligne Lake)

Bald HIlls (Maligne Lake)

Sulphur Skyline (Miette Hot Springs, Jasper NP)

All of these get you up high in the subalpine and alpine regions, and have great views.

I see from your other post today that you are coming in the third week of September. I would be sure to bring sturdy footwear with good treads - hiking in snow is not beyond the realm of possibility at higher elevations at that time of year, although any snow accumulation before the end of the month is usually short lived. Also, with the cooler days, there is less chance for trails and rocks to dry up after rain or snow.

I am going backpacking this weekend in Mt. Robson Provincial Park (adjacent to Jasper NP), and snow is forecast.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hike suggestions? Banff & Jasper

hiking poles help too

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hike suggestions? Banff & Jasper

Bow River: you might see eagles....? Hoodoo Trail..

albertaeh.ca/banff-national-park/hoodoo-trai…

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/activ1/a.aspx

But with the snow forecast - could be muddy & slippery; still, it used to be our favorite...

4. Re: Hike suggestions? Banff & Jasper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2013, 10:15