We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff to Vancouver

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Banff to Vancouver

We have more or less decided on the following itenary

Day 1 Vancouver-Whister-Kamloops (as we are just of cruise, don't want to drive too far)

Day 2 Kamloops-Jasper

Day 3 Jasper

Day 4 Jasper-Banff

Day 5 Banff

Day 6 Banff- Kelowna

Day 7 Kelowna- Vancouver Airport

However just been reading on the Kelowna forum that possibilities of snow on way can anyone advise of route from Kelowna or Banff that would possibly avoid chance of snow. This is on 14th June.

thanks

rettie

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,039 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banff to Vancouver

In order to see the best of the Rockies, it is best to plan for a minimum of two nights in Jasper and three in Banff.

What about a one way trip and then fly out of Calgary? This plan is all driving and no seeing.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banff to Vancouver

Flights booked. I have been asking questions on the forums for the past 3 mths, all sorts of advice, flying out of Calgary was an option if the price had been right but they didn't come down. Now needing advice on best route back from Banff. Would have liked the elevated option but just read about possibities of snow/ice so wondered if there was a lower route. We will have 10hrs to complete the drive from Kelowna to the airport.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,824 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banff to Vancouver

Unfortunately, the advice you have received is fractured over two user names. You really need to have TA merge them into one account because some of us look into the posting history of one account to see what has been said but don't look into two accounts. It is not to your travelling benefit to run two user names. To do this click on the following link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport

From the first drop down menu choose > Sign in and Registration

From the second drop down menu choose > I want to combine multiple accounts.

Remember the email address you use on TA and ignore Facebook when you are asked to sign in. Do not create a new account. Better yet, remain signed in on your home computer.

I think the amount of time you have for a round trip is primed for disappointment. So, I would give Whistler a miss and try the following:

Vancouver > Hwy 5 to Clearwater 1 night > Jasper 2 nights > Banff 2 nights > Hwy 1 to Kelowna 1 night > Hwy 5 and 1 to YVR.

The map for this itinerary: http://goo.gl/maps/HyvIl

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,579 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banff to Vancouver

In mid-June, I doubt that there is enough of a chance of snow to worry about. You might want to be aware of the possibility of frost on the road in the mountains in the early mornings, but you would have to be pretty unlucky to encounter winter driving conditions. It's not impossible, but it's not very likely either. A bigger risk would be mudslides or rockslides which may close the road for a while (a few hours or a few days) after heavy rains.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Banff to Vancouver

Thanks.

The reason I was asking, someone else had been asking on another thread about a similar route & one of their replies mention ice/snow. We encountered this in Yellowstone in June 2 yrs ago & wondered if our chances were the same.

Mufti, still been unable to change hubbies mind about Whistler, will take your advice re joining up the accounts, don't even know how I ended up with one linked to Facebook!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,824 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Banff to Vancouver

Fair enough, rettie, Whistler it is. I know you will have a scenic time of it, so enjoy.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,039 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Banff to Vancouver

Ok, on day one, Kamloops is back tracking. Instead, go north on Highway 97 to Clinton. You could carry on to 100 Mile House if you felt like it, but Clinton would be a good option. On day two, turn right on the Little Fort Highway (route 24) to Bridge Lake and across to highway 5 and carry on to Jasper from there.

On day 6, I'm not sure you have time for the detour to Kelowna. That road through Vernon tends to be slow and as I'm not sure you have the time to appreciate the area anyway, perhaps you should cut your losses and just allow that time through Roger's Pass and Glacier National Park instead. I'd stop in Salmon Arm or Kamloops and then take the Coquihalla (route 5) from Kamloops to Hope, as the much faster route. Kamloops to the airport should be about 5 hours, so you can gage how much time you need to get to your flight. I would plan to be at the airport 4 hours ahead of an international departure to allow for traffic delays and time to get your car checked in.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Banff to Vancouver

Thanks we will look at Clinton route someone on one of my earlier threads mentioned a similar route.

As for stoppping in Kelowna our flight is at 20 past 10 at night. We are early risers & when on a roadtrip are up & away early to make the most of the day. Leaving the hotel around 7am gives us 12hrs, (flight checks in at 7.20pm enough time to stop for brekkie about 2 hrs into our journey. Salmon Arm is an option too, so will be looking at accommodation options in both.

9. Re: Banff to Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 07:17