We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing Recommendations in the Rockies

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Skiing Recommendations in the Rockies

Hi, We are an Aussie family, on a world "Skifari" trip and Canada is on the list. We would be in the area end March/early April 2014. We are all experienced skiers, cope well with Aussie black runs, but probably not Canadian double blacks, with a 13 yr old.

Any suggestions for skiing? We were thinking of Lake Louise, Sunshine, or Fernie. Then we would like to drive to Vancouver (over 3-4 days in start of April) and stop at Kicking Horse or Revelstoke.. I have been reading about the winter driving. Will watch weather forecasts etc. and take our time. Hubby drives oversnow taxis on weekends in local resort.

Does this sound ok? Any Must Do's?

Many thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing Recommendations in the Rockies

I hadn't heard of an oversnow taxi before, so I googled it: http://tinyurl.com/bq5x55r Looks like the same arrangement that is used for cat skiing here: http://tinyurl.com/c7azvxy

Perhaps it's a lack of imagination on my part, since I've never driven a snow groomer, snow cat, or even a snowmobile, but I don't think many of the skills involved with driving one of these vehicles translates very well to driving a car on winter roads. However, the plan to watch the forecasts and take your time is a sound one.

For more on winter driving, check out this TripAdvisor Traveler Article on the subject (if you haven't done so already, of course):

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c55003/Canada…

Traveller Articles are written by TA members like you and me, in response to popular forum questions.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing Recommendations in the Rockies

You don't need to choose between Sunshine and Lake Louise. You can base yourselves in the town of Banff and ski both.

Having 3-4 days for your trip from Banff to Vancouver is a great idea. Time for a ski day, plus time to be flexible around weather.

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing Recommendations in the Rockies

Hi Country Wife and Banff,

Thanks for your suggestions. Oversnow taxi is a Toyota troop carrier 4WD which ferries guests from car parks to accommodation in the ski resort, as car access is restricted.

We will look at accommodation in Banff.

Cheers!

4. Re: Skiing Recommendations in the Rockies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2014, 06:18