We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Banff Townsite to explore Yoho,Banff, LL???

usa
Level Contributor
469 posts
Save Topic
Staying in Banff Townsite to explore Yoho,Banff, LL???

Hello, I will be visiting Banff NP, Yoho NP, LL, etc. Is it advisable to stay in Banff for 7 days (less unpacking). Or, I can split my 4 nights in Banff and 3 nights in Field/Lake Louise? After that, we're planning to stay in Jasper for 3-4 nights and head to US Glacier NP for 3 nights and possibly YNP.

I'd rather not unpack too often, but don't know if driving btw Banff and LL and Banff and Yoho is too troublesome. I know it's 1hr one way. However, lodgings in Lake Louise/Field are a bit more expensive while I can stay one week in Banff townsite for much cheaper. Please advise????

Here's our tentative itinerary. Have visited YNP/Grand Teton/ and Glacier NP before.

DAY 0 Friday August 30. Departure

DAY 1 Sat August 31 YNP. Overnight YNP

DAY 2 Sun Sept 1: YNP. Overnight YNP

DAY 3 Mon Sept 2: YNP. Overnight YNP

Day 4 Tue Sept 3: All day drive to Banff. Overnight Banff

Day 5 Wed Sept 4: Overnight Banff

Day 6 Thurs Sept 5: Overnight Banff

Day 7 Sept Fri 6: Lake O'Hara Reservation. Overnight Banff

Day 8 Sat Sept 7 Lake Louise. Overnight Banff

Day 9 Sun Sept 8. Overnight Banff

Day 10 Mon Sept 9. Overnight Banff

Day 11 Tue Sept 10. Jasper

Day 12 Wed Sept 11 Jasper

Day 13 Thurs Sept 12 Long Day drive to Glacier NP USA. Overnight Glacier NP

Day 14 Frid Sept 13 Glacier. Overnight Glacier NP

Day 15 Sat Sept 14 Glacier. Overnight Glacier NP

Day 16 Sunday Sept 15. Overnight Glacier NP

Day 17 Mon Sept 16. Overnight Glacier NP or near airport.

Day 18 Tues Sept 17 : Departs 1pm.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,893 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Banff Townsite to explore Yoho,Banff, LL???

a couple of thoughts. It owuld be good if you could do Jasper first as the drive to Glacier from Banff is easier and scenic. LL is only 45 minutes from Banff and Yoho another 35 minutes or so. While a lot of driving I think its very doable without changing hotels. Driving the Pkwy both ways is not a bad idea. IMHO I would not relocate to Field but do go to Moraine Lk and LL early in the day as it gets crowded

Calgary
Level Contributor
739 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Banff Townsite to explore Yoho,Banff, LL???

Yellowstone to Banff is a long drive... Perhaps 12 hours or more. But if you are up to that...

(add your stops and border crossing and you're looking at 14 hours.

You do not need so many nights in Banff. Jasper has a lot to see. I would do 3 nights minimum. It's worth while to spend an entire day between Lake Louise and Jasper on the Icefields Parkway. There are many places to stop.

Here's the changes that I would make:

Day 7-8 stay in Lake Louise Area (much closer to lake O'Hara) - but yes it is more expensive than Banff.

Day 9-10-11 in Jasper (adds one day to Jasper from your itinerary)

Day 12 in Radium (about half way between Jasper and Glacier NP (USA)

Perhaps even consider cutting one day off the Glacier part since you've been there before.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Banff Townsite to explore Yoho,Banff, LL???

Last time i was up there i used lake louise as my base, it saves you a bit.... rest of my time in jasper. did lake ohara from LL, as well as other great hikes in yoho.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,386 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Banff Townsite to explore Yoho,Banff, LL???

Staying in Lake Louise can certainly save you driving time, but I should point out that LL accommodations are more expensive than staying in Banff. For more about the pros and cons of Banff vs Lake Louise, and a few other options, have a look at this TripAdvisor Traveller Article:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c14815/Banff-…

Traveller Articles are written by TA members like you and me, in response to popular forum questions.

5. Re: Staying in Banff Townsite to explore Yoho,Banff, LL???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 06:19