We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on heli hiking

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice on heli hiking

We are thinking of including heli hiking in our trip to the Canadian Rockies and would love any advice or feedback. Is this adventure worth the time and expense? If we do this 3 day trip what else should we do/see/hike in that region. We have about a week to spend.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,749 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on heli hiking

Heli hiking is not offered in the national parks - they are not permitted to do that here. I have spoken with people who have done BC heli hikiing through CMH (Canadian Mountain Holidays) and they were very happy with the trip they took, staying in a backcountry lodge as their hiking base. I gather it's quite a luxurious experience though, and with a price tag to match (and of course, a flight in a helicopter is never going to be cheap!)

There is heli drop-off offered near Jasper in Mt. Robson Provincial Park, on Mondays and Fridays, by Robson Heli-Magic. The drop-off spot is Robson Pass, on the Berg Lake trail. This is normally a backpacking trip but people do it with the heli as a (long) day trip - it's about 23 km (and downhill!) from the drop-off point to the trailhead, through some of the most beautiful scenery in the Canadian Rockies. It costs about $230. You need good weather for it though - if the flight is delayed due to clouds and lack of visibility around the mountain, you may not have enough time for the hike.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,460 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on heli hiking

For what else to see/do/hike in Banff National Park on your other four days, start by taking a look at the Top Questions (top right of your screen). The information there is prepared by TA members like you and me, in answer to popular questions from the forum, and will give you a good basis for your planning.

Edited: 03 July 2013, 23:19
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on heli hiking

Thanks so much. Very helpful

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on heli hiking

Thanks for the information. I have friends who have done this and say it was the best part of their Canadian Rocky experience. Needed to check it out with others. And, yes, it is pricey.

5. Re: Advice on heli hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2014, 06:18