We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getaway within 3 hours of Canmore...

Canadian Rockies...
Level Contributor
633 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Getaway within 3 hours of Canmore...

Hello!

This is a bit of a reverse question! We live in the Canadian Rockies, and are looking for a one night getaway for my birthday. We were looking at Fernie or Waterton, but I honestly didn't realize that it's a 4-5 hour drive. I've thought of Baker Creek, Emerald Lake, and Storm Mountain, and Cathedral Mountain, but I'd kind of like to get out of the area for the night ( don't get me wrong those spots are AMAZING!).

In the past we've stayed in Calgary for a night, but I'm not really in the mood for the city hustle and bustle.

I'd like a quiet, lodge like place with a good dining option ( or two) nearby. We'll likely arrive mid morning, maybe do a nice hike and just chill out. We were thinking of Island Lake Lodge in Fernie, but with the distance I'm hoping to fins something similar in maybe the Invermere/Winderemere area, Golden or Revelstoke areas.

I'd love some tips on some hidden gems!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,885 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getaway within 3 hours of Canmore...

Smitten, if you're looking for someplace in BC, I hope you've also posted on the BC forum.

My favorite destination that isn't in the Rockies is the Brooks area; I love Dinosaur Provincial Park and the badlands, Lake Newell and the pelicans, and the other quirky destinations in that area, such as the Brooks Aqueduct and the gardens at the Crop Diversification Center. I don't know what to recommend for accommodations, though, as I usually camp at Dinosaur PP in my RV. They have "comfort camping" there now too, if that appeals to you.

One other thought - Aurum Lodge near Nordegg has a good reputation.

Canadian Rockies...
Level Contributor
633 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getaway within 3 hours of Canmore...

Thanks, I just did that! I honestly wasn't sure where to post, as we don't really have a destination! I would be open to something south of Jasper as well.

Not really into camping/rv'ing for this particular night away, I'd prefer something that's a bit more on the luxe end of accommodations.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
619 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getaway within 3 hours of Canmore...

Check out Field and Truffle Pigs Bistro and Lodge. Funky fun place to stay lots of hikes in the area. The Lodge is rustic but very well maintained and the food in the Bistro is excellent. Just be sure and call ahead as i know they are closed for reno's right now and not sure when they ate opening.

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getaway within 3 hours of Canmore...

I can give you a few options. Panorama in BC is nice. Great hotels and hiking trails! Waterton is very beautiful with lots of hiking to do there. I would recommend doing the Bear's Hump trail there. If you're an avid hiker, it's an easy trail with breathtaking views of the lake, the townsite, and of course the mountains. Emerald Lake is nice, the lodge there is expensive though. It's about $385/night. South of Jasper, still in the mountains, try going to Nordegg! It has nice lakes and hiking areas. Hope your trip goes well!

Calgary
Level Contributor
957 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getaway within 3 hours of Canmore...

What about something up by Ya Ha Tin Da?

6. Re: Getaway within 3 hours of Canmore...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 06:16