We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding a place for the long weekend in Banff

10 posts
Save Topic
Finding a place for the long weekend in Banff

Hello, wanted to know if anyone can help me, since I have many win to go camping this Saturday and 3 Sunday 2 August at Banff. My priblema d is that I tried to do online book sites tells me that there are no booking, I think it should be first come first served. Also call and they said they had no reservations. So be very difficult to reach and get somewhere being there? All camping keychain really full? Please if anyone can guide me would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding a place for the long weekend in Banff

If its full...its full...and yes...it is VERY common on a long weekend. If your willing to pay BIG bucks, Banff Springs sometimes has a few rooms...going for $500+/night. I'd make a list of 5-6 hotels you'd be willing to stay at and call them every few days to see if there are any cancellations...thats all you can really do.

Yes, there are also a few camp sites in the area that are first come first serve, but they are always snatched up well in advance within the weekdays by Calgary city folk who are willing to pay for several days without even being present just they can get an open spot.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
5,405 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding a place for the long weekend in Banff

About half of the national parks campsites in Banff are first come, first served. Those spots can't be booked until you arrive on site, but for a long weekend they can be gone by Thursday evening or midday Friday. Or earlier.

All the reserved tent sites in Banff and Lake Lousie are booked as well as at any of the Bow Valley provincial campsites, but if you are willing to drive farther, there are spots for tents (not RV) in Whistlers over in Jasper. There seems also to be the occasional reservable spot for a tent trailer/small RV (not tent) popping up at Tunnel Mountain Trailer Mountain, but those seem to go almost as fast as they are posted.

Unfortunately you are finding out why you need to make reservations weeks, if not months in advance to camp on a long weekend unless you can arrive by Thursday. With the great weather forecast for this weekend, I think you are probably out of luck other than an expensive hotel room.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,219 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding a place for the long weekend in Banff

Given the current beautiful weather, and the forecast for it to continue, I would expect all the Banff and Kananaskis Country campsites to be full by Thursday afternoon at the latest. As Littlechilds points out, it's pretty easy for a Calgarian to drive out, pitch a tent or drop the RV on Wednesday or Thursday, pay for camping until Sunday night, and then go home and work until the weekend starts. It happens all the time, particularly on the August long weekend.

Calgary
Level Contributor
870 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding a place for the long weekend in Banff

"Yes, there are also a few camp sites in the area that are first come first serve ...."

Not quite. The 380 (yes 380) sites at Two Jack main are ALL first come/first served. I have had excellent luck there on busy weekends including Canada Day long weekends. The bigger risk is your camping unit size. i had a 26 foot travel trailer, and couldn't open my awning ....lol

It will be busy this weekend, so if you are going to go, don't dawdle .........

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finding a place for the long weekend in Banff

unless you can get there early friday morning, i wouldn't risk it. even by friday morning, you might be out of luck.

6. Re: Finding a place for the long weekend in Banff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 07:15