We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff clothes and shoes, october/november

Mexico City, Mexico
3 posts
Save Topic
Banff clothes and shoes, october/november

Hello! I'm going to stay for seven weeks at Banff, starting on October 6th abd I'm almost clueless about what to take. Consider, please, I'm from Mexico city, so I don't use to wear snow boots or really warm clothes o.0

If you could give me some advise, including brands, it'd be great!

(I'm going to stay indoors most of the time but I hope I can hike if the weather lets me! :D

Thanks again!

Raquel

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banff clothes and shoes, october/november

This page should be helpful:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c13644/Banff-…

Mexico City, Mexico
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Banff clothes and shoes, october/november

Thank you very much! It is useful indeed! :D

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
5,942 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banff clothes and shoes, october/november

Out of curiosity, why come to Banff if you intend to be inside all the time? It's one thing if you are working, but Banff is built around outdoor activities. If you are an inside kind of person, you'll find a lot more and lot more variety in one of the cities. Otherwise, I'd think it would be a long 7 weeks.

Early October and sometimes mid October can be absolutely beautiful - that's when you want to get your hiking in if at all possible. By the end of October, early November it tends to be colder with snow moving in for the season. Probably a bit later before it sticks for good, but it's generally the end of most hiking because it's too wet/icy/slippery/snowy on the mid to higher elevation trails.

By mid to late November, you could well be able to try some winter sports - xc skiing up in Lake Louise or lower down if the snows cooperate, early season ice climbing and even possibly the first bit of skiing at the highest altitude resorts.

You are going to have to plan on investing in some winter clothes - it will be cold and winter by the time you leave and even in October, colder than you are used to in Mexico. And you will have to go outside to go places. At a minimum, I'd look for some good layering pieces (fleece, merino etc), a solid water resistant/wind proof jacket, warm hat, warm & weather proof mitts or gloves and solid boots. You likely don't need all out winter boots, but something that is more than ankle high that will keep your feet warm and dry. Many of these items could be used back in Mexico (as I remember you can get chilly nights) if you buy wisely - merino and fleece can be used as single layers in warmer temps, while a good shell jacket that breathes can be used in rain/wind in warmer climes as well as an outer layer with layers underneath in colder temperatures here in Canada.

Since you arriving fairly early, it might be worth looking for stuff after you arrive. In general, the more expensive brands are better quality, last longer and have better warranties. But you can get solid stuff withut breaking the bank. If you can get stuff on sale, the top brands include Patagonia (often stuff on sale in their Banff store), Arc'teryx, Mountain Hardware, OR, North Face (though quality not as good as it used to be), Columbia, MEC, Icebreaker etc.

In Canmore, there's an excellent outdoor gear second hand store called Switching Gear. You can get everything from jackets to boots to backpacks etc. at good prices. I'd also look in the local shops to find stuff on sale. Options are a bit limited in Banff/Canmore, so you may have to go to Calgary etc., but Mark's Work Wearhouse is an excellent option for winter basics, as is MEC and sometimes Atmosphere/SportsChek. You can also look online at the MEC Gear Swap to find stuff people are selling.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banff clothes and shoes, october/november

I expect that the OP may be coming for a course or residency at The Banff Centre. Many people do, and they work long hours, often indoors, at their chosen subject.

Mexico City, Mexico
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Banff clothes and shoes, october/november

ksneds,

Thank you very very much! As banff said after you, I'm going to the Banff Centre and I'm intended to work as long as I can in my writing. But I don't want to end as Jack Nicholson in "The Shining" so I'd like to go out and enjoy the mountains as well. So I don't want to be forced to stay inside and miss all the fun just because I made a bad shoe choice :) Thanks a lot for your kind answer, it's very very helpful!

Edited: 19 August 2014, 18:31
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Banff clothes and shoes, october/november

This TA page will give you lots of suggestions for short and longer walks that are easily reachable from your base at the Banff Centre:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154911-c14522/Banff:…

7. Re: Banff clothes and shoes, october/november

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 06:16