We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing and Ski Hire in Canmore/Banff.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing and Ski Hire in Canmore/Banff.

We family of four arrive 22 December in Calgary and drive straight to our accommodation in Canmore. We are staying 10 days until 1 January. We plan to ski for 4 days, enjoy dog sledding, hot springs, skating on Lake Louise and other options.

We will need to hire all equipment, and can do so easily; however, we ware also wondering about the options to hire clothing, including gloves. We can only find one option for ski pants and jacket in Banff. Any suggestions about clothes hire? We are staying in Canmore.

Regards

Greg

5 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
408 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing and Ski Hire in Canmore/Banff.

Items such as gloves can't be rented and you wouldn't want to rent gloves anyway. If you are there for 10 days you should just buy gloves and hats. While ski jackets and pants could be rented for the four ski days if you are there for 10 days you will need a winter jacket to walk around in and for all other activities. Renting ski pants for the four days is the only realistic option.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
8,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing and Ski Hire in Canmore/Banff.

You will want ski pants for the dog sledding and likely for the ice skating (if it's outdoor skating). And hats, gloves, scarves/neckwarmers and jackets for just about everything outside during your visit.

+1 to the above comments - jackets and pants are the only items usually available to rent, and only in limited locations. It's not a huge market because it's the very rare Canadian who won't have those items for various winter activities. I think you can rent jackets and pants at Lake Louise ski resort.

You will definitely want to have good winter jackets. They do not need to be heavy jackets - it's much better to have a water/windproof (like Goretex) jacket and then just put as many layers underneath as you need for the weather. It's the kind of jacket you could use back home for rainy/damp/cold days. And layers can be things like merino which you can easily get at home and use at home (merino layers are great year round).

You may end up being better buying inexpensive ski pants. In Canmore, Switching Gear is a great consignmetn/secondhand gear shop. They may have something that will work. There's also Mark's Work Wearhouse by the Canadian Tire - they may have something inexpensive for the adults in your group.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing and Ski Hire in Canmore/Banff.

Thank you Andrew for your insights.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing and Ski Hire in Canmore/Banff.

Most often it is less money to buy the items you want than to rent.

In paticular if they are needed for several days.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing and Ski Hire in Canmore/Banff.

I once rented a jacket for 1 day because I forgot mine haha (silly I know)...cost me $22 for the day...

skilouise.com/rentals-and-lessons/clothing-r…

Reply to: Clothing and Ski Hire in Canmore/Banff.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted