We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito problems

seattle
Level Contributor
407 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquito problems

I am very sensitive to mosquito bites. How bad is the mosquito problem in July? Any suggestions for the best repellent to purchase? Thanks.

Calgary
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito problems

A repellant with DEET should work for you.

How bad is the mosquito problem in July? It's hard to answer as it depends on where you are, how hard the wind is blowing, and a myriad of other factors. If it's windy, the little fellas just can't fly so you're in great shape. The harder the wind, the fewer the bugs anywhere. If you're around a boggy area, in deep grass/vegetation, or someplace with water sitting around, you're likely to have mosquitoes, though. Even some years are worse than others! Why chance it? Carry repellant in your packback! You never know when you're going to need it.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito problems

Depending on where you are and what you are doing, you may have issues with mossies.

STRONGLY suggest you do not wear any perfume(s) or aftershaves. (Dont know if you are a M or a F.) Even would be helpful to be careful with unscented deodorants.

We have noticed when we are hiking thru buggy areas that there is nothing nicer than a woman with a lot of perfume heading in the opposite direction. Provides a fair amount of relief.

You WILL run into mossies on some of the trails and picnic areas. Some are obvious -- like dont do the FENLAND TRAIL.

Also, the usual rules apply about time of day.

I've never had good luck with repellants -- and if you have sun issues as I do, you will find that the combination of sunscreen and repellant may not be well advised (Ask your doctor).

Having said all of that -- there are lots of places -- usually in the higher country -- that we rarely see mossies, even around the lakes.

England, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito problems

I found Ben's Deet very good, except that after putting it on you then wash your hands so that is where we then got bitten. Long sleeves and trousers help.

The worst place by far was at the top of the Banff Gondola.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito problems

I have severe health concerns about DEET products. Make your own informed decisions. The biggest problems we have encountered are where we are the first or only people hiking thru an area. Them buggies are just waiting for some customers. Add a fen or two, and we become prime real estate.

We have had some success spraying our clothing as we wander thru those areas, trying to avoid getting it directly on our skin.

Also, please check the health and effective hazards of mixing sun screens and mosquito repellants.

western michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquito problems

i am also very sensitive to bites- and they seem to bite me when they don't other people! i am planning a trip to banff, lake louise and jasper this summer, either late june or late july. is either time better than the other for mosquitoes, or any other reason? thanks

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquito problems

what kind of trip are you planning? will you be doing a lot of hiking? i'd stay away from the fen trail.

we've never had a lot of problems with mossies in the rockies -- if you are a hiker, stay a little higher on the hill -- you'll find the bugs prefer being closer to sea level.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquito problems

Just a mention that the OP was regarding a trip in July 2007.

western michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquito problems

we'll not be doing much hiking- more walking the common trails to see the sites- around the lakes, etc. are the bugs any better or worse in late june, vs late july? thanks

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquito problems

Usually they are more prevlaent in late June than in late July. By late July, we have usually had enough dry weather to discourage them. However, every summer can be different ...

10. Re: Mosquito problems

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 17:21