We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Banff to Drumheller

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton, Uk
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
Day trip from Banff to Drumheller

Hi Everyone,

Need some advice regards the above day trip to Drumheller. We will be in Banff from May 28th to June 02nd and our 4yr old twins are dinosaur crazy. So we thought a trip to Drumheller would be a great treat.

Only concern is a route other than going through Calgary. Yahoo MapQuest states its a 3.5 hr journey each way? Any tips for a better route.

Thanks in advance

Diamark

Canada
Level Contributor
4,640 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Banff to Drumheller

There is really no other way to get to Drumheller other then through Calgary. However there is a route that skirts the Trans-Canada Highway and brings you out a bit further north and therefore shaves off a bit of time (maybe an hour or so). If you are intersted in this I can give you more details - we live between Calgary and Drum so know the side rouites!

I will go and dig out my map book so I can get the exact highway numbers!

Moose Jaw, Canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Banff to Drumheller

Where are you before and after Banff? There may be a better/easier way to get to Drumheller. Are you going to Calgary or Edmonton?

Southampton, Uk
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Banff to Drumheller

Hello Africandaisy

Thank-you for your reply, we will take you up on your offer.

If it takes an hour off the driving time then brilliant . As no doubt we will have the constant echo of are we nearly there yet from our four year old twins.

So we would be grateful if you could dig out your books, much obliged Diamark

Thanks to Ladytonia for also replying unfortunately our accomodation is already booked so we have no other choice

Much obliged Diamark

Canada
Level Contributor
4,640 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Banff to Drumheller

OK here goes I hope it all makes sense.

Travel east from Banff towards Calgary on Highway 1 (the Trans-Canada). Once you hit the outskirts of the city keep your eyes peeled for a sign directing you to STONEY TRAIL (Highway#201), - a good landmark here is Canada Olympic Park, the turning is just before that and if you pass COP you've gone too far!

Take a left on Stoney Trail and keep going until you get to COUNTRY HILLS BOULEVARD - Go right on Country Hills Blvd, and keep going - sorry I just can't give you distances :( but it's about 20- 30 minutes worth of driving.

You will cross Deerfoot Trail (the main north/south route thru Calgary) and will see the Airport on your right. Shortly after you cross the Deerfoot you will be leaving the city and Country Hills Blvd becomes Provincial Highway 564 - you have now skirted the city and are heading East towards Drumheller.

If you keep on 564 it crosses Highway 9 which is the highway that goes straight into Drumheller. Their are signposts for Drum and the Dinosaur musuem so you will know you are heading in the right direction

We live in a town between Drum and Calgary and use this route to the mountains (in reverse of course) because it means that you don't have to go on #1 through Calgary which is congested and too many traffic lights! Country Hills goes thru suburbia and whilst it may be a little busy in rush hour - it is quite free flowing and not so stop-start! There are also plenty of places to stop for food, gas or washroom breaks.

If you go to Drumheller on a warm day take the kids swimsuits because there is a nice water play-park/picnic area near the river where they can let off some steam!

Hope this helps a bit - have fun :)

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Banff to Drumheller

Hello Diamark,

Africandaisy has given you an excellent route for getting from Banff to Drumheller.

To change things up a bit on the way home from Drumheller, you could return via the town of Cochrane, which is to the NW of Calgary. Essentially this would involve travelling west from Drumheller on Hwy #9 till Beiseker. Continue west from Beiseker on Hwy #72. When Hwy #72 reaches Hwy #2, on the northern outskirts of Airdrie, turn south as if you're going towards Calgary. However, less than a kilometer after you've turned onto Hwy #2, turn west onto Provincial Route #567. Drive west on Route #567 till it reaches Hwy #22, then turn south. You will reach Cochrane in about 8km. If you take that route, Cochrane is about 2 hours from Drumheller.

Cochrane would be a good place to stop for an evening meal. I recommend Smitty's. It's a family-style restaurant that belongs to a cross-country franchise. If you are not into those kinds of restaurants, don't pre-judge this particular Smitty's. The one in Cochrane is not a regular Smitty's. The man who runs it lavishes extra TLC on it, and it shows. The menu is the regular Smitty's menu, but it also has a couple of daily specials that don't appear on other Smitty's menus. The Kid's Menu offers a main course and a beverage for $4.29. The restaurant is just off Hwy #22, a couple of blocks south of the junction with Hwy #1A.

If the idea of Smitty's doesn't appeal to you, Cochrane has quite a charming little "downtown core." You could wander around there till something catches your eye.

Mackay's Ice Cream in Cochrane is famous in this area. People drive the 40 km from Calgary just for the sake of an ice cream from Mackay's.

From Cochrane you could use Hwy #1A and then Hwy #1 to reach Banff. That would take you about another hour. So the entire trip, not counting stops, would take about 3 hours.

Southampton, Uk
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Banff to Drumheller

Thanks Africandaisy

Thats great advice we have printed off your directions and are raring to go

Also thank-you for letting us know about the waterpark, the boys will love it.

Thanks to Judy from Calgary also we will consider going back the route you have suggested, to be honest though i think there will be tears from George and Archie when we tell them its time to leave.

May i take this opportunity to thank everyone who have assisted us in our queries over the course of planning this trip.

We fly out thursday morning, now all it needs is someone to help me pack.

Diane and Mark (Diamark)