We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff with older boys!

ca
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Banff with older boys!

Hi Everyone,

I am currently trying to plan a ski/adventure over Christmas for my family of four: myself, hubby, 20&16 yr old boys. I've searched the hotels and that seems easy enough, but I want something a little different. So that I'm not left in the hotel all day while they ski I thought I should plan different activities. My family is fit so we shold be able to do most activities (no heights please!) Snowmobiling? Is this easy access from hotels in Banff? Cross-country?

If anyone has suggestions on lodge type hotels with charm I'm all ears. Is there a village to enjoy for a day near the hotels?

One more thing: Flying from San Diego---seems quite expensive--any good sites for flights in Dec/Jan.

Many Thanks for all help,

Kiki

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,331 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banff with older boys!

Hello Kiki:

Banff is a town of 8,000 people with a range of museums, galleries, spas, amenities, shopping and services -- you will have no difficulty finding things to do while your family is on the slopes. This site:

www.banfflakelouise.com

will tell you a lot about the things you can do and see. You should also check out the "Things to do" secton of the Banff Inside Pages: click on Banff Overview (top left of this screen), then on Inside Banff, then scroll down to "Things to do".

If you want a large hotel with all possible services, then you probably want the Banff Springs Hotel. If you are looking for a smaller hotel with charm, you might consider the Caribou Lodge or the Buffalo Mountain Lodge. There are also truly gorgeous bed and breakfasts, although I expect they may already be booked for Christmas -- consider Thea's House or the Buffaloberry B&B.

Snowmobiling is not allowed in Banff National Park, so you would need to go into British Columbia to do that -- there is a recent post on this forum in which a traveller enthusiastically describes her experience there.

There are lots of cross-country skiing options within a 30 minute radius. The Spray Loop starts right by the Banff Springs Hotel. The Cascade Road is about a 10 minute drive from town. There is a full-service Nordic Centre with night skiing in Canmore, a 20 minute drive away.

There are winter tours on snowshoe -- check out Discover Banff Tours, White Mountain Adventures, or Great Divide Nature Interpretation.

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banff with older boys!

mmmm.....

There are "alternatives" to flying into Calgary for skiing you could possibly consider if "Banff" is not your main focus.

Kalispell Montana has Glacier International Airport - 20 minutes to Big Mountain at Whitefish = . http://www.bigmtn.com/

2.5 hours (driving) to Fernie; www.skifernie.com + www.skircr.com

Also, don't forget about Canadian Rockies International Airport at Kimberley/Cranbrook = 15 minutes to smaller family hill = www.skikimberley.com; 70 minutes to Fernie's "powderfull" Snow Valley. Neither of these small communites have the "pop" of staying in Banff (especially for you), but the skiing, particularily Fernie, can be quite good. Drive to Lake Louise or Banff from Cranbrook is "doable" but longer than driving in from Calgary + panormaresort.com is another area ski hill quite close to Fairmont or Radium Hot Springs that is more accessable from Cranbrook Airport than Calgary.

If you do go to Banff, perhaps your husband/you may like to drive 90 minutes to Radium Hot Springs for a day trip? goto www.kootenayrockies.com and click on "Places to See' + "Hot Springs" link. This website is packed with info on B.C. side of Rockies. . .

3. Re: Banff with older boys!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 06:19