We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency exchange

Woodbridge, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
currency exchange

Do most places take US dollar or credit card? Are there any places that do not? Restaurants, park passes, souvenier shops, gas, grocery store.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency exchange

jl

Here's a previous thread on that same topic:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154911-i221-k6146… to get you started.

nisswa MN
Level Contributor
67 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency exchange

We just got back from Banff yesterday. We used US monies.The one thing was that you got change back in canadian monies. If the place did not take US dollars we paid with a credit card. Also used our debit card in places too. It's a wonderful place to visit,ENJOY!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,564 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: currency exchange

For more information (did you know we have $1 and $2 coins?), read the TripAdvisor Traveler Article, "Canada Banks and Money":

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s601/Canada:B…

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,651 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency exchange

Yes, lots of places will take US currency as a convenience to American visitors - however, they get to set the rate of exchange, and obviously, they will take a percentage off the top for their time, trouble and to cover their bank fees. This is never the cheapest way to exchange money - you are paying for convenience. Change will be given back to you in Canadian money because you are in Canada and that is the legal currency. And, by the way, American coins are used interchangeably in Canada with our own, so you will not get exchange on them.

US or any other foreign credit cards are used the same as any Canadian credit card. Your transaction is processed in Canadian dollars (the merchant receives $CDN) and the credit card company will calculate the exchange at their rates and add on any service fees they charge, and it will all show up on your statement in USD. So you won't know the total price for an item until you get your credit card statement and see the rate that was used (it changes, day to day), as well as the service charges. Sometimes credit card companies "bury" their fee in the rate of exchange, but some also add a per transaction fee for foreign transactions. You should check with your bank because sometimes these fees can be pricey.

Often the cheapest and easiest way to exchange money is to use your ATM card at any bank machine. But again, you should check with your bank, because some of them have hefty service fees on foreign transactions.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,428 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: currency exchange

Use your ATM card to get cash as you need it. It did so twice earlier this month. Once in Cranbrook and once in Jasper. No fee for using out of network ATM. Also, my bank statement came a couple of days after I got back and the exchange rate was quite acceptable.

We did encounter a couple of places that would not take my husband's Mastercard. I paid for all the hotel rooms with my Visa and had no problems.

6. Re: currency exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 04:18