We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Banff to Jasper

Glasgow, Scotland.
4 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Banff to Jasper

Hello, new to this forum so please be gentle with me.

My wife and I are travelling from Glasgow, Scotland to Banff via Calgary quite soon and I would really like to hire a car and drive from Banff to Jasper as well as the other usual tourist spots. But I'm a wee bit wary of driving on the 'wrong' side of the road. Looking at maps the drive seems a bit daunting from Banff Ave to Jasper. Why, for example, are there two Highway 93's ? Or am I missing something ?

I would welcome any information that would calm me down a bit with regards to undertaking the drive from Banff to Jasper. Also car hire prices in Banff itself. Thanks.

Banff Adventures
Equipment Hire, Sightseeing Tours
Toloco Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,533 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Banff to Jasper

Hi Scotsman:

Good for you! I like to see people exercising reasonable caution.

Highway 93 south goes to Radium Hot Springs. Highway 93 north goes to Jasper, turning off the TransCanada (highway 1) just west of Lake Louise.

Driving without stopping Banff to Jasper, keeping to the speed limit, will take you around 3.5 - 4 hours. But most people like to stop a lot, so you should really allow all day.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,621 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Banff to Jasper

Scotty,

The drive from Banff to Jasper is not only one of the nicest drives you can make, but also on a very high quality road, albeit single lane either way only. I had no problem with this at all in June, and driving on the wrong side of the road for us also. I just kept forgetting which side of the car to get in. :(

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,621 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Banff to Jasper

Oh, and BTW, why hire a car in Banff? Why not Calgary? You have to be able to travel Calgary/Banff anyway somehow.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Banff to Jasper

HI there Scotsman, we Aussies also drove all through the rockies back in April this year and found the driving fine. Roads are all easy going and we chanted to the driver "short right long left " every time when pulling into traffic. Seemed to do the trick and we avoided any head on collisions.

Our drive from Kelowna through to lake Louise, Banff, Jasper and Kamloops took us 7 days but we enjoyed the area by not rushing.

Be prepared for hefty one way drop off fees if you are not returning to your original destination with your car. Rates vary for each company and prices will vary for what sort of car you will need. We found rates varied and it was a good idea to shop around.

Enjoy your trip, it is truly a wonderous place that we are looking forward to returning to soon.

Glasgow, Scotland.
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Banff to Jasper

Thanks to all who replied.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Banff to Jasper

Stop at the information centre in Banff to get FREE maps of the area... including the icefields parkway, and highway from Banff to Lakelouise. These maps will show you how straight forward the drive from Banff to Jasper is! and even to calgary!

The information centre is in the downtown district, on Banff Avenue near the intersection of wolf street!

banfflakelouise

Glasgow, Scotland.
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Banff to Jasper

Thanks, this is more like the information I was looking for. However, I've noticed that some (if not all) car hire firms advertise 'unlimited milage' except for the Banff to Jasper road or have I got this wrong ?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,621 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Banff to Jasper

<<'unlimited milage' except for the Banff to Jasper road or have I got this wrong>>

I never struck that problem when researching for our trip, Scotty. Had no problems with Avis from Calgary.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
932 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Banff to Jasper

Just get on Trans Canada highway 1 and keep driving west until you see the sign 'Jasper --->' then follow the signs from there.

Ohio
Level Contributor
268 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Banff to Jasper

The road is very easy to drive. As one who has driven on the other side of the road in Ireland and St. John, I have found that the only time you really have to think is when you turn.

You will want to rent your car at the Calgary airport. For some reason Dollar rent a car is much cheaper than the other cars. I have rented from them for our Sept. trip and hope everything works out. I have used Dollar at other locations. You can check prices on www.kayak.com or www.carrrentals.com