We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quick tour of Yoho plus Golden or Kootenay?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
651 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
quick tour of Yoho plus Golden or Kootenay?

Ath the end of September we'll hopefully have time to have a quick visit to Yoho to see the spiral train (hopefully, I'm not sure how regular it is??), natural bridge, takkakaw Falls and Emerald Lake. I gather these can be done in a good half day. If we get a full day, would it be feasible to visit Golden or Kootenay for a drive through? Would you recommend one over the other. We'll be staying overnight in Lake Louise and heading to Jasper the next day. We can always visit Yoho that morning too if we did Golden or Kootenay. I know you can spend weeks in these parks alone, but it's just to get an idea of them.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,374 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: quick tour of Yoho plus Golden or Kootenay?

On your question about the spiral tunnels, as long as you're willing to wait around the viewpoint for 20-30 minutes, you should be pretty much guaranteed to see a train going through.

If you have a full day, you could consider driving through to Golden (since you will already be partway there), not so much for the town itself, but for the spectacular scenery along the way. You could also consider spending longer at Emerald Lake -- walking the easy trail around the edge of the lake, having a leisurely meal at the lovely Cilantro restaurant. Or you could make a booking on the Lake O'Hara bus:

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/…a1

and spend a few hours exploring one of Yoho's most beautiful areas.

Visiting Kootenay requires backtracking, but if you chose that option, you could drive down as far as Marble Canyon, enjoy the walk there, perhaps Paint Pots as well, and return.

I'm a little concerned by this part of your post: "... heading to Jasper the next day. We can always visit Yoho that morning too if we did Golden or Kootenay." I wouldn't recommend starting your Icefields Parkway day by visiting Yoho. Lake Louise to Jasper will take a full day if you plan to enjoy all the area has to offer -- viewpoints, tourist sites, etc.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
651 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: quick tour of Yoho plus Golden or Kootenay?

Thank you so much for your really helpful response. Because we're staying in Jasper I thought we could backtrack if we didn't get time to see anything on the way but I'll spend the full day in golden and yoho and just enjoy the drive up to Jasper, as you recommend. That's good to know the spiral train is regular, we'll certainly hang around to see it!

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: quick tour of Yoho plus Golden or Kootenay?

I do not know how many days your have. But, Kootenay there is not much in this park to see - Paint Pots and a small lake close to Radium Hot Springs. I would not make a special trip to see the paint pots or the lake, unless I was going to the hot springs.

Yoho, on the other hand is where you should spend your time and that and Parkway.

You will not get much of a view of the trains, the trees block much of the view.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
3,018 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: quick tour of Yoho plus Golden or Kootenay?

Hi Mrs. Pink.

It will take much longer than you realize just to visit Spriral Tunnels, Emerald Lake, go for a walk, stop at Natural Bridge and have some lunch. Combined with your trip and walk to Takakkaw Falls, this will you the bulk of a day! Enjoy. In Lake Louise, take some time to enjoy a walk on the lake, a canoe ride, a nice meal and a visit to Moraine Lake.

banfflakelouise

5. Re: quick tour of Yoho plus Golden or Kootenay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2009, 05:18